Pressure fermentation- lower temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyBeers

Reaction score
I have an amber lager using mangrove jack California lager yeast, which recommends 64-68 range for fermentation. The room I’m fermenting in isnt insulated, it’s sort of a branch of the basement, the only area not underground. This morning it was around 60 degrees. In the winter it gets as low as 50. I exclusively pressure ferment. Normally I’m pressure fermenting at much higher temps than recommended, no issues. What about pressure fermenting at lower temps than recommended?

What about pressure fermenting at lower temps than recommended?

You'll get an extra, extra slow fermentation. Lower temperatures make yeast work more slowly. Pressure makes yeast work more slowly. You say "I exclusively pressure ferment." Why not set your spunding valve to about 2 PSIG? I suspect 60F ambient will be fine for your california lager yeast.

You'll get an extra, extra slow fermentation. Lower temperatures make yeast work more slowly. Pressure makes yeast work more slowly. You say "I exclusively pressure ferment." Why not set your spunding valve to about 2 PSIG? I suspect 60F ambient will be fine for your california lager yeast.
Good idea. I should turn the spunding valve down a bit. I usually let it build up to 30 before I cut it off, and generally I’ve been able to still get full fermentation with carbonated beer in 3-4 days. But I’m also not using my tilt this time so I expect to let it go for much longer regardless.

I thought the idea of pressure fermentation was so you can run higher temps without unwanted side effects. Since you are currently stuck with lower temps there is thus no reason or advantage to pressure ferment. Why not ferment with no pressure and after a couple days or so spund to finish it?

I thought the idea of pressure fermentation was so you can run higher temps without unwanted side effects. Since you are currently stuck with lower temps there is thus no reason or advantage to pressure ferment. Why not ferment with no pressure and after a couple days or so spund to finish it?
Good point.
I like to pressure ferment so that I can get my co2 levels up, so I can enjoy the beer faster without sitting it on serving pressure a week. I personally don’t use the 30psi rock back and forth method, and any variations for force carbonating higher than serving pressure really. Its also a comfort thing now that I’m used to it.
I also feel like it’s a more controlled process overall, just my opinion.
As it’s turned out, this thing had no lag at all, and apparently I under pitched, but it’s ripping right along…
Should be done by tomorrow night at this pace, maybe Wednesday at latest.

Back