Fermenting over-night mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estbrew

Reaction score
Tried over-night mashing for the first time and when i opend my mashing pot in the morning all the grain material was floating and smelling very funky, like cheese or similar.
The beer was a saison so i thought it will add some extra wierdness aroma profile and i rolled with it. Now i just opened first bottle after one week and the same cheesy smell is still there.
My questions are: will it mellow out or is it just 3711 what produces similar aromas?

Lesson here is never to mash over night under 65 C, at the same time i mashed irish red at 65 C and it was OK.

Lots of people mash overnight. It doesn't cause any off-flavors. Maybe you got some bad grain or something.

I think, my temperatures dropped too low and 62 celcius in not enought to kill bacteria from grain. But It was fermenting! there was CO2 bubbles and and floating grain + the sour smell.
I think it will be perfect with some stronger cheese :D

The point of a mash is not to kill bacteria. That's what the boil is for. Grain is absolutely COVERED with wild yeast and bacteria.

Back