Fermenting out the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanitize your hose, take the airlock off and put the hose on. It's venting so much CO2 you will not get an infection. With the airlock you'll risk it getting clogged.

I imagine there's little chance for contamination as it's going to be nearly impossible for something to get IN as everything is shooting/bubbling OUT the airlock. However, once it's done bubbling over I'd clean it up and shoot the area with a spray bottle of sanitizer just to be safe.

If your fermentation is that vigorous, chances are the cell count of active yeast is so high it would be very difficult for anything else to take root and ruin the brew. There's also a wee bit of alcohol in there, and that can help out some as well.

My local hardware had just run out of the tubing I needed so I just kept cleaning the airlock out or replacing it with a with my extra (sanitized one).
I was worried about an infection. It's my first attempt at a wheat, so I assume that there will be a slightly different smell to it than an ale? Doesn't smell like an infection, it just smells different.

All yeasts produce a different smell to me, especially during very active fermentation. Its fine. :)

Latest posts

Back