Fermenting my kolsch at room temp. Low 70s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I didn't research enough and have had my kolsch upstairs where the house is heated to room temp in the low 70s

I've read its suppose to ferment at the low 60s

Its been maybe 3 days or so and its fermenting pretty heavy

Also I tried making thisa cucumber and lemon water kolsch

So for my extract i soaked 1-2 gallons of water in fresh cut cucumbers and lemons then used that water to top off the wort to bring it up to 5 gallons

Curious how it'll turn out or if I'll get any of the lemon/ cucumber flavor lol

What strain are you using? It's true 2565 is typically run around 60°F (that's where I run it based on that popular opinion).
I don't know what character change(s) might be induced running it in the 70s. Might be good?

Cheers!

I use German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) for my Kolsch. Although the consensus seems to be that this strain is not too much different than Cali ale, I use it because it is hot here in Texas and I found this strain more forgiving.
I have got consistent results at room temp ~74, but there was one batch that got up to ~78 once... it did have an off flavor ( Fusel alcohol/ hot taste) but was only mild so still drinkable at least.

So I didn't research enough and have had my kolsch upstairs where the house is heated to room temp in the low 70s

I've read its suppose to ferment at the low 60s

Its been maybe 3 days or so and its fermenting pretty heavy

Also I tried making thisa cucumber and lemon water kolsch

So for my extract i soaked 1-2 gallons of water in fresh cut cucumbers and lemons then used that water to top off the wort to bring it up to 5 gallons

Curious how it'll turn out or if I'll get any of the lemon/ cucumber flavor lol
This sounds like the perfect way to catch an infection.

Latest posts

Back