Fermenting malfunction (HELP!!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
Today I brewed a IPA and everything went well. After pitching the yeast and taking the bucket downstairs to the basement I noticed that the rubber stopper in the lid was half way on. As I tried to fix it the rubber stopper fell in the wort. I quickly clean and sanitized another bucket and transferred the wort to the other bucket. Is this going to effect the fermentation or the yeast?

Everything went so well, I just hope I didn't mess up the brew.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Doubt it, should be fine. Before I learned about sanitation (a WHILE ago), I used to transfer wort to the bottling bucket by starting a siphon WITH MY MOUTH... Never had an infection..

Sounds like you just gave the wort a little extra aeration. I wouldn't worry at all.

The same exact thing happened to me! It gets slippery with sanitizer and then if you're not careful it slides right in.

It's okay because you don't even need that grommet. I used some duct tape to secure the airlock in place.

That's was I was thinking, more aeration!! Thanks!!

This happened to me on my first IPA I ever brewed. Wound up freaking out, not knowing what to do, sanitized my entire arm, and just dove into the bucket and beer and fished it out as quickly as I could. Not my proudest moment, but the beer wound up great!

Doubt it, should be fine. Before I learned about sanitation (a WHILE ago), I used to transfer wort to the bottling bucket by starting a siphon WITH MY MOUTH... Never had an infection..

I had to do this also before I got an auto siphon. Never had any infection but also it was post fermentation so the alcohol helped prevent any critters from growing.

Back