Fermenting in store bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPS357

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

So, out of an effort to achieve efficiency, I realized that if I could ferment the juice in the bottles that it comes in, I can save the effort of sterilizing glass gallons before and after fermenting, etc. One of the issues here is that these come in 96oz plastic containers.

Has anyone fermented their juice in the jug/bottle that it came in? I imagine that I can just open the bottle, spill out a few oz., drop in a campden tablet, drop in some yeast, use a stopper and bubbler, etc. Will this work?

Next question, if I'm only fermenting 96 oz, is it ok to use a whole packet of yeast (which is designed for 1 gallon)? Does anyone know what size stopper I would need?

For what it's worth, so far, I leave my cider unfiltered, so I don't do a ton of racking, etc.

Thanks gang!

Yes, you can ferment in plastic.

Definitely do not add a Campden tablet.

A pitch rate designed for 128 oz should be fine for about 96 oz.

I should clarify my initial post. The two times I made hard cider, I have Crushed one campden tablet and then waited two days to add the yeast.

I saved a couple 1 gallon wine jugs jut for fermenting very small batches or as 2 secondaries for 2 gallon batches.

My wife found a Mr. Beer starter kit for $5 at a yard sale, the ingredients were all expired but it also had a 2.5 gallon carboy and about 10 reusable plastic bottles. Great for 2 gallons of Cider.

I should clarify my initial post. The two times I made hard cider, I have Crushed one campden tablet and then waited two days to add the yeast.
Definitely do not add a Campden tablet.

See here:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite

I saved a couple 1 gallon wine jugs jut for fermenting very small batches or as 2 secondaries for 2 gallon batches.

My wife found a Mr. Beer starter kit for $5 at a yard sale, the ingredients were all expired but it also had a 2.5 gallon carboy and about 10 reusable plastic bottles. Great for 2 gallons of Cider.

Understood. To be honest. It's not about not having the glass jugs. It's about dealing with sterilizing and then cleaning, etc. My feeling is that if I'm already buying the juice in a plastic jug, why not ferment in there, then when I siphon it out, just toss it with the rest of the recycling?

This is more about efficiency and laziness than cheapness. All 3 of which I have been accused of. :p

You'll have to pour out a bit of that juice to leave enough head space for fermentation, so your not really saving.

I got the 1 gallon jugs free for the asking, I'm not drinking a gallon off Rossi for a glass carboy. You'll still need to clean and sterilize whatever fermenters or bottles you use regardless. Good luck.

i use 1 gal plastic jugs that my juice comes in all the time. I dump out enough to add 1 can FAJC, then let her rip! Produces a nice 7.5ABV cider with very little effort.

Yes, I know it is not the best cider, and that I could do better. And I usually do. But sometimes I just want a super easy gal of cider.

i use 1 gal plastic jugs that my juice comes in all the time. I dump out enough to add 1 can FAJC, then let her rip! Produces a nice 7.5ABV cider with very little effort.

Yes, I know it is not the best cider, and that I could do better. And I usually do. But sometimes I just want a super easy gal of cider.

FAJC?

Hi Gang,

So, out of an effort to achieve efficiency, I realized that if I could ferment the juice in the bottles that it comes in, I can save the effort of sterilizing glass gallons before and after fermenting, etc. One of the issues here is that these come in 96oz plastic containers.

Has anyone fermented their juice in the jug/bottle that it came in? I imagine that I can just open the bottle, spill out a few oz., drop in a campden tablet, drop in some yeast, use a stopper and bubbler, etc. Will this work?

Next question, if I'm only fermenting 96 oz, is it ok to use a whole packet of yeast (which is designed for 1 gallon)? Does anyone know what size stopper I would need?

For what it's worth, so far, I leave my cider unfiltered, so I don't do a ton of racking, etc.

Thanks gang!

I would advise you to read your yeast pack. Most brewing / cider / wine yeasts are sold in packets sufficient for five gallon batches, not one gallon. You can likely do a lot more than one bottle with what you have.

FAJC adds 5.7 oz of sugar to a gal of juice, so it raises the ABV about 1.5%, but even better it adds more of an apple taste to the final product.

Standard Yeast packets (no nutrients added already), up to 3 gallons, use half the pack (even for one gallon), over 3gaL up to 6gal, use the whole thing.

Hi Gang,

Thanks gang!
Let me guess. You're using WalMart Great Value Apple Juice from concentrate. That's why the juice shelves at Wally World are empty of my go to juice! YOU HOARDER!!!

Just kidding. I'll chime in here. My first several batches I fermented right in the plastic bottle, no problem. I'm like you, lazy. Plus as fate would have it, my first air locks came with corks that fit perfectly and too big for one gallon carboys. As stated, you need to pour about 20 oz. off (save it), and then I add 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and about 1 cup table sugar and shake real well. I hydrate my yeast in about 1/2 cup of juice 'nuked' for about 20-30 seconds, I'll first stir in about 1 tsp of nutrient before adding yeast for about 10-20 minutes. About one half package (2.5 gr) of EC-1118. Ferments real good for about the first three days or so, then slows and is pretty much done after a week. I'll wait another week for kicks and to clear.

Then I'll grab one of those used one gallon wine jugs sterilized, pour in the reserved juice and about 1-1/2 oz (3 Tbsp) sugar dissolved, then siphon in from 3 qt jug. Turn right around and siphon off into one modified used 20 oz plastic soda bottle and as many 12 oz swing tops as it takes, usually 7-9. Wait a week or so until I've got 30-35 psi and into the fridge they go.

I know I am mixing measures, but as a rule of thumb I use a teaspoon of dried yeast per 5 litre carboy (which is just a bit over an imperial gallon) and this seems to work quite well. If I am adding DAP I use the same measure. Your 96 oz containers are (I think) 3/4 US gallon so the "rough" teaspoon per gallon approach should work for you. You might get three batches out of a packet of yeast.

Back