Fermenting Cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to come up with a way to keep my conical cooled during fermentation. My first thought is to expand the refrigerator I currently use (7-8" in depth, the height and width are OK). It is an upright fridge with a freezer on top. I don't mind modding it as I got it on the cheap anyway.

My first question: Do I need to keep the fridge and freezer separate? (To my knowledge the fridge uses the cold air from the freezer anyway. I could be wrong, I have been wrong before).:cross:

2nd: Would 1.5" wood be insulating enough for the extension part? (I would think as long as there are no air leaks it should hold at Ale temps OK).

Another option for me would be to build a fermentation closet. Modding the fridge seems like a less expensive way to go though. I don't know if the added space will be a problem though.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!! :mug:

I decided to go ahead and built the collar for it today. I do need to know if I need to extend the separation from the freezer. To keep the 2 separate or would it be OK to have that open. I hope that someone who know more about fridge/freezers can chime in.

I will take some picts if you guys are interested. I don't expect they will be very impressive as I am not a very good carpenter.

Cheers!!!

I would not try to combine the freezer and fridge section. You run the risk of damaging the cooling coils. You will more than likely need some type of temp. controller such as a Ranco to keep the fridge from getting to cold.

abracadabra said:
I would not try to combine the freezer and fridge section. You run the risk of damaging the cooling coils. You will more than likely need some type of temp. controller such as a Ranco to keep the fridge from getting to cold.

Thank you! I have a Johnson controller. I am using it currently as a fermenting fridge, and just need to expand to space so to speak. I will keep the 2 separate like you recommend.

Here is what I came up with. I need to redo the seal on the door. It needs to be thicker and wider. I am calling her FrankinFridge.

FrankinFridge2.jpg

Back