Fermenting Bucket Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
I've been digging out my beer making equipment and restarting the hobby. I found my fermenting bucket but I can't find the lid for it. I have a lid that came off another bucket that snaps on rather well. Can I drill a hole in the lid add a stopper and air lock and use that for my primary or should I wait until I can get a new lid?

You can drill it yourself... You would just need a rubber grommet to fit inside the hole that will support your airlock or blow-off hose.. You would also want to make sure the lid you have is air/water tight... you might want to test that out first..

I highly doubt it will be water tight. It snaps on but not tightly. Maybe I should wait on my next batch until I can get the proper lid.

If it's not air tight the only thing that is going to happen is your airlock may not bubble much. I don't see any reason not to use the lid you have as it will protect the beer inside just fine. Drill a hole it that baby and get brewing!

Should be just fin. I use a bucket that doesn't have a gasket. And when tipped on side some liquod does slowly drain out. Shouldn't be a problem. Havn't had a problem so far.

TO be extra stringent. I usually don't aerate (shake) as vigoursly. Trying to avoid putting wort between the lid and bucket where the air gap is.

the orange lids that they sell at Home Depot has an o ring and is water tight. They are 98 cents but they do tend to crack at lower temps when trying to remove the lid. I use the buckets $2.79 and lids to store grain for under 4$ really cant beat it.

I highly doubt it will be water tight. It snaps on but not tightly. Maybe I should wait on my next batch until I can get the proper lid.

I made three great batches with my first bucket that had a lid that was not air tight. I was nervous since the air lock didn't bubble, but it didn't make a lick of difference. Beer still turned out awesome. Let er' rip.

Back