Fermenting at too low a temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
Just curious if there are any repercussions to fermenting at too low a temperature. I know that if it's too warm that you will get esthers in the beer, but what happens if you ferment an ale, for example, at too low a temp, like in the 50's? I haven't encountered this problem yet, but my buddy I often brew with has a chest freezer with a johnson control regulator, and we were just curious.

The yeast will slow their metabolic activity and will settle out prematurely if they get too cold.

the yeast will produce different flavors than if you fermented at the correct temp. its up to you to decide if these are good or bad flavors. also they will take longer to get the job done and you may need to add more yeast. i assume your asking this because you are trying to do a lager and an ale at the same time. if so don't the two have incompatible temp ranges.

Latest posts

Back