Fermenting a LalBrew Diamond Lager yeast at 65 degrees instead of the recommended 50-59?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
Brewed an Oktoberfest lager yesterday, I understand the lagering technique it has to go through after the fermenting stage and am getting the needed supplies (inkbird 308, mini fridge).

What I didn’t realize is the lal yeast diamond lager yeast ferments at 53-59 degrees per the instruction. I’m at 70 in my usual “ale” area and utilizing a “swamp cooler” I got it down to currently at 64-65. So fast forward 13 hours and I have active bubbling in the blow off.

Am I out of the woods?

Definitely going to be an interesting experiment!

I'm interested in seeing what kind of flavors you are going to get from the yeast at that temperature. I've never used that yeast before but I have used 34/70 at 62 and didn't notice any dramatic flavor differences. You will definitely need to keep us posted and let us know how it turned out!

Check out the warm-fermented lager thread. Someone reported success with Diamond in the 60s. I fermented with it under 14-15 psi in the mid 70s and it came out fine.

Back