Fermenting a Belgian-style Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooray beer!

Reaction score
I have been using about 6-7 lbs of extract in my other brews--but I used 7 lbs LME and another lb of Belgian style Candi sugar. I figure this is to raise the alcohol content--should I let it ferment longer than normal or does it not matter?? Thanks for the input.

:rockin:

Fermenting times vary depending on how long it takes the yeast to devour the sugar.

Don't rely on a preset number of days...use your hydrometer to determine when the fermentation is slowing down.

Higher gravity beers (like you have with the extra sugar) will take longer to ferment. Generally, go 1 week in the primary and 10 days in the secondary and you should be fine to bottle...

i just started up a trios pistoles clone... 10# of LME, 1# Dark Candi, 1# Golden Syrup.... using WL Belgian Golden yeast. I made a 1L starter, pitched, and its been VERY actively fermenting with pretty massive amounts of CO2 (can smell it through my entire apartment).

Really... it depends on the yeast, how much sugar, and what temperature you are fermenting at. This particular batch seems to be generating more metabolic heat than other batches... its acutally about 5°F above ambient!!

Back