Fermenting 2112 Cali Lager at 53?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
i'm fermenting my first Lager with Cali 2112 Lager at 53, is that too cold for this? The brewshop said it is a very forgiving yeast, I just don't want to have it stall or anything.

Quote from wyeast site:

This strain is particularly well suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers with woody/minty hop flavor. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

It says its not reccomended but that doesnt mean it will stall. If its already fermenting you might want to try to increase temp a little just to be safe.

The Krausen is 2 to 3 inches thick and very active, the airlock is also very active. Upon thinking about it the temp is set to 11.6 degrees C, given that fermentation is exothermic (I hope I spelled that right) the temp of the beer should be closer to 58. I tried strapping the sensor (Ebay Aquarium) to the outside of a glass of water before brewing and had wild temp swings. Now the sensor is wrapped inside of a balloon submersed in the glass of water-not measuring the temp of beer but holding very steady.

Back