Fermenter Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjasinski30

Reaction score
So I’m getting ready to transfer my first batch from the fermenter to the bottling bucket (complete with priming sugar). The instructions say to use a siphon, but does that matter? Is there a difference between siphoning the beer and just pouring it from one bucket to another? Same question when transferring it from the primary to secondary fermenter. I know I want to minimize oxygen exposure. Is there a “best” transfer method? Thanks!

Yeah big difference. Don't pour the beer, it will get aerated. Aeration (after fermentation has started) is the very last thing you want to do with beer, as it will lead to oxidation, quickly.

So yes, siphon or rack, with the hose curled on the bottom of the bottling bucket.

And don't use secondaries. Totally unnecessary, there's nothing they cure while they increase oxidation, infections and stalled fermentations.
So leave your beer in the primary and rack the beer into your bottling bucket, from above the yeast/trub layer. Tilt the fermenter toward the end to keep the well deep.

The best transfers are closed transfers, with no exposure to air (O2) at all. That's about impossible when bottling (at home), but very attainable when kegging.

When I bottle, I've been skipping the bottling bucket and bottle from the fermenter to reduce the chance of oxidation. It saves some time as well.
I add one domino dot sugar cube per bottle. This works out pretty good when using Grolsch swing tops, Mr Beer 16 oz. or the larger pint bottles German beer comes in.

Yeah big difference. Don't pour the beer, it will get aerated. Aeration (after fermentation has started) is the very last thing you want to do with beer, as it will lead to oxidation, quickly.

So yes, siphon or rack, with the hose curled on the bottom of the bottling bucket.

And don't use secondaries. Totally unnecessary, there's nothing they cure while they increase oxidation, infections and stalled fermentations.
So leave your beer in the primary and rack the beer into your bottling bucket, from above the yeast/trub layer. Tilt the fermenter toward the end to keep the well deep.

The best transfers are closed transfers, with no exposure to air (O2) at all. That's about impossible when bottling (at home), but very attainable when kegging.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve heard many people say to not use a secondary fermenter. As I’m new a few questions:

1. The recipe says 5-7 days in primary then 2 weeks in the secondary. If I don’t transfer to secondary, are you saying to just keep it in primary for 3 weeks? How do I know when it’s “done”?

2. What is/was the thought behind secondary fermentation?

3. For the bottle bucket, I have one with a spigot and one without. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to bottling with a spigot?

Thanks so much for the help.

I’ve heard many people say to not use a secondary fermenter. As I’m new a few questions:

1. Yup, just keep in the "primary." When obvious signs of active fermentation have ceased (krausen has dropped, bubbling has stopped), the yeast is still working, slowly fermenting the last fermentable sugars, and conditioning, cleaning up byproducts. It depends on your beer how long that takes. 3 weeks is a good rule of thumb, some beers are done sooner, while others, such as higher gravity beers, may take longer. Especially when bottling you want the beer to have reached terminal gravity, or your bottles may over-carbonate or even burst/explode.

Definitely take 2 gravity readings (with a hydrometer) a few (3-5) days apart, before bottling. When both readings match and are at or close to your expected FG, it's generally safe to bottle.

2. The main reason was to remove the beer off the yeast cake, ASAP, to prevent potential off flavors and autolysis (yeast dying).
With modern day yeasts (and possibly with old age yeasts too) that's found not to be much of an issue. Beer can stay on the yeast cake for 4-8 weeks without much or any problems. The beer will clear on top of a whole yeast cake as well as in a secondary, while preventing possible oxidation and stalled fermentations.

If bulk aging for longer then 8-12 weeks, moving the beer to a true secondary, in a sanitary way, without oxidizing it, is recommended. To do that properly, without ruining the beer in the process, is not a casual task or for beginners. Access to CO2 (or using fermentation gases to purge secondaries) may be even needed. Yet, pretty much every kit instruction (still) includes instructions to rack to secondary after xx days. :drunk: Some now mention the secondary as an optional step in their instructions.

I doubt I stand alone saying 99.99% of all homebrew beers, especially beers sold in kits, don't benefit from secondaries, and are likely harmed or compromised by using them, especially in novice hands.

3. On a bottling bucket, you attach your bottling wand to the spigot (with a piece of vinyl tubing). That way, you're draining the bucket by gravity, while filling bottles.
Use a bottling wand with a springy shut off valve on the bottom end. So the flow starts when the tippy is pressed against the bottom, then stops as soon as you lift it out of the bottle when full. It leaves just enough headspace when completely removed.

You could use a siphon or racking cane and bottle straight from your fermenter, or a regular bucket, in a similar way, but that takes a bit more involvement. If bottled directly from a fermenter, don't forget that each bottle needs to be primed separately.

Latest posts

Back