Fermenter size for small kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamgm

Reaction score
Hello all,
quick question: I'm about to start my first 1 gallon kit of beer. The instructions are calling up a small fermenting bucket though. Is there any reason I can't use my normal fermenting bucket (5 gal)?

Thanks!

I love my one gallon glass carboys. I understand people who are concerned about the dangers of big glass carboys, but the one gallon ones are easy to handle, clean and store. Doesn't the kit come with a one gallon glass carboy? I have heard that using too large of a fermentor can lead to issues with oxidation and infection due to the large head space in the container.

No, it doesn't come with any carboys. I have my normal, plastic, 5 gallon one. OK to use?

This is only a concern if you leave the beer with a large headspace for an extended time once it has finished actively fermenting. If you can rack it to a secondary vessel that is close to the finished volume, such as a one gallon glass jug, that would be fine. Such a jug is too small for primary because it doesn't leave enough headspace.

If you prefer the ease of avoiding secondary and bottling straight from the primary, then I'd find a 2 gallon white plastic bucket at Home Depot.

This is only a concern if you leave the beer with a large headspace for an extended time once it has finished actively fermenting. If you can rack it to a secondary vessel that is close to the finished volume, such as a one gallon glass jug, that would be fine. Such a jug is too small for primary because it doesn't leave enough headspace.

If you prefer the ease of avoiding secondary and bottling straight from the primary, then I'd find a 2 gallon white plastic bucket at Home Depot.

I've done many 1 gallon batches in 1 gallon jugs. Just need to use a blow off tube. To the OP, they are cheep, my LHBS sells them for $5.

IMO, a two gallon bucket would be much better. Trying to siphon 1 gallon off of trub in a 5 gallon bucket will be a PIA. On 1 gallon glass jugs- back when I was doing 1 gallon batches I always found proportionally that a lot of beer would go out the blowoff tube when using those1 gallon jugs. A two gallon bucket would reduce or eliminate that problem. Cheers.

I love my two gallon buckets. Got mine at Lowes and got a bottling spigot from local home brew store, made a 2 gallon bottling bucket. I have duplicates of my primary stuff though because my sister in law is Celiac's so I want her to be able to enjoy ciders and meads. A couple 2 gallon buckets are cheap and easy to have multiple experiments going at once. The glass one gallon jugs will be where my Mead ages (first one is in primary now).

Latest posts

Back