Fermented Session IPA still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed an BIAB IPA 6/14/20 and it seemed like it was going to be terrible, 1st time BIAB, OG was supposed to be 1.061, actual OG was 1.040. I fermented it anyways and then kind of forgot about it. It's been sitting at 70 degree constant for the last 3 1/2 months.

Is the beer still good as long as there isn't mold in the bucket (haven't opened the lid yet)?

Thanks

Ditto that ^

If sealed up without oxygen ingress, it's probably fine - as fine as it would have been, in any case. Alternately if air got in over the past months, it may be oxidized and not so fresh tasting.

BTW, not hitting your target OG doesn't make the beer taste bad. It just means the alcohol content will be lower than you wished for, and bitterness might be off balance. Shouldn't be a reason to forsake it without even giving it a chance.

If there's nothing growing on it then I'd give it a try. Even if it's not perfect once it's carbonated, conditioned, and chilled it will taste better.

Back