fermented out of airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleyd205

Reaction score
hey guys, i brewed my sixth batch last tuesday (a sierra nevada pale ale) and have been checking the fermentation day by day....but i noticed today that sometime over the last couple of days it has fermented out of the airlock. this is the first time i have had this happen. my question is, should i be worried about bacteria from the airlock getting back into the bucket. i did clean it out and put it back on though. i do not know for sure how long the airlock was full of the overflow. any tips and help????

Your beer is most likely just fine. I always install a blowoff tube for primary fermentation. I only take it off if I need it for a new batch and then only if high krausen has passed.

hey guys, i brewed my sixth batch last tuesday (a sierra nevada pale ale) and have been checking the fermentation day by day....but i noticed today that sometime over the last couple of days it has fermented out of the airlock. this is the first time i have had this happen. my question is, should i be worried about bacteria from the airlock getting back into the bucket. i did clean it out and put it back on though. i do not know for sure how long the airlock was full of the overflow. any tips and help????

Greetings from another Birmingham native!

Don't worry at all. Assuming that your airlock has a sanitizer solution or vodka in it, you're fine. Even if not, you are still almost certainly fine (though sanitizer is what you ought to be doing here).

thanks for the insight guys

Greetings from another Birmingham native!

Don't worry at all. Assuming that your airlock has a sanitizer solution or vodka in it, you're fine. Even if not, you are still almost certainly fine (though sanitizer is what you ought to be doing here).

i had sanitizer in the airlock but was in a hurry and just put water back in instead.

Just had this happen to me today for the first time too. Removed the airlock and did a blowoff. Fermentation started after 2 hours and the volcano went about 18 hours

image-2158245076.jpg

ok so i changed the airlock back to sanitizer the night of the overflow. its still fermenting but its slowed down which is normal. so all in all, i believe all is well.

Back