Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaša Ratkai

Reaction score
So on Thursday I've been making new IPA batch with BIAB method. The recipe was:
Volume: 25 gallons
9.92 pounds Maris Otter
2.64 pounds Vienna
1.32 pounds Munich
0.44 pound Cara 20 MD
Hops: Warrior, Amaraillo, Simcoe
Pre-boil gravity: 1.040
OG: 1.060
Yeast: Safale US-05

So it's been 45 hours now, there is foam on top of wort I can see, but there are no signs of fermentation in airlock. Should I repitch the yeast, or shall I wait? I really don't know what to do and I don't wanna lose this batch, previous one was same procedure and there were eruptions in airlock 15 hours after altho it was diffrent recipe.

Thanks for your help!

So on Thursday I've been making new IPA batch with BIAB method. The recipe was:
Volume: 25 gallons
9.92 pounds Maris Otter
2.64 pounds Vienna
1.32 pounds Munich
0.44 pound Cara 20 MD
Hops: Warrior, Amaraillo, Simcoe
Pre-boil gravity: 1.040
OG: 1.060
Yeast: Safale US-05

So it's been 45 hours now, there is foam on top of wort I can see, but there are no signs of fermentation in airlock. Should I repitch the yeast, or shall I wait? I really don't know what to do and I don't wanna lose this batch, previous one was same procedure and there were eruptions in airlock 15 hours after altho it was diffrent recipe.

Thanks for your help!

CO2 is probably escaping elsewhere, take SG reading and see if it has dropped. My buckets dont bubble at all because they leak like crazy.

Thanks for the advice, it was new fermentor and as I pressed on cover really hard just clicked and bubbling began same moment.

Thanks!

Now you know the visual signs of fermentation rather than looking at the airlock. I ferment in covered kettles without airlocks, so that first sign of foam covering the wort is a sure sign that within a few hours there will be plenty of fermentation.

25 gallons? Light grain bill perhaps 25 L?

Last edited:
Are you a "home brewer"? What in the world are you going to do w/25 gallons of the same beer? Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to understand that volume

I’m with wilser here, very light grain bill to get that gravity in 25 gallons. Also, I think the comment about fermenter kid leak sounds like a bucket.

I do make lots of 20+ gallon batches, cleanup is about the same and you get lots more beer for the effort.

I’m with wilser here, very light grain bill to get that gravity in 25 gallons. Also, I think the comment about fermenter kid leak sounds like a bucket.

I do make lots of 20+ gallon batches, cleanup is about the same and you get lots more beer for the effort.

Fermenter leak is indeed a bucket, it sounds like that is not preferred choice by the ‘sound’ of your condescending voice. I suppose you use carboys?

Yeah since, everyone uses mostly U.S metric system, I calculated everything except gallons, it's actually 25 litres, my bad.

Fermenter leak is indeed a bucket, it sounds like that is not preferred choice by the ‘sound’ of your condescending voice. I suppose you use carboys?

I don't think is was a condescending voice, just a clarification. Lots of us use buckets because they work well and are a lot safer to handle than a large glass vessel. However, buckets lids are prone to leak and we often don't get to see bubbles in the airlock. No big deal, if you want bubbles you go to the toy section of the big box store and buy a bubble pipe. The lack of bubbles in the airlock doesn't affect the beer and it then forces you to use the proper instrument to tell if the beer is done fermenting, the hydrometer, instead of measuring the minutes between bubbles in the airlock.

Don't feel bad about making a slight mistake between the imperial measurement and metric, I hear that someone made a mistake like that on a Mars bound rocket and that was a big mistake. I saw that 25 gallons, looked at the grain bill and immediately translated the gallons into liters.

Back