Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed a caramel cream ale with lactose Friday night and I don't have a Krausen or bubbling(though I think the last time I used this particular Carboy it was the same) .... I do show a thick yeast cake. I understand bubbling isn't a good indicator and I should take a gravity reading. When I last ordered I accidentally bought a thermometer instead of a hydrometer to replace my broken one.

With the yeast cake should I assume it's going until I can get a hydrometer when I find time? Or should I start FREAKING OUT????

Lol

5 gallon batch ... Cream ale yeast from Austin homebrew ... Normal pitch from liquid yeast I rarely do starters and never have issues ... And I have a fridge with temp control that was on the low side I bumped up into 70's to kick start for a few hours and still nothing so I dropped it again ... The yeast cake has been there since after the first 24 hours

Is there definitely a yeast layer, and not just cold break? As long as it's sealed up, no need to freak out, just wait for your hydrometer to arrive.

Back