Fermentation to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Put this in beginners forum, but getting no response:

I'm leaving on vacation in the morning and was praying that fermentation was complete on my pale ale w/lemongrass (wyeast 1056). My OG was 1.054, but when I pulled out secondary to the keg tonight it's only 1.020.... It had a crazy fermentation for first couple days at a temp of 70-71 degrees and it's stayed around 68-70 in secondary. I primary fermented 5 days and secondary for 5 days. I would have left it, but I was worried about the amount of lemongrass I dumped in and wanted get it off it.

So... What I did; kept with kegging and then purged co2 several times. 30lbs then released then put 10lbs in and left it. Then put back into the closet.

Thoughts? I'll recheck the gravity when I get back or do I just go ahead and throw it in the keezer?

Just for future reference you might get a better response if you list more of your process so we have something to troubleshoot (all grain/extract/mash temps/recipe/yeast/starter), but I think it was probably stalled to a finish, it should be fine.

If it does get lower and is cloudy, you can always rerack it to another keg, I usually connect the two liquid posts and push to the other purged keg with a bare gas disconnect, put the full keg at an angle so the sediment is away from the dip tube.

You should have been checking for a stable final gravity before racking to secondary (or if not checking, at least give it 7-10 days and check to see if the krausen dropped). I don't guess you'll see that much change in gravity now, because you removed it from most of the yeast (twice now!).

Secondary is for clearing and aging for the conditioning period, it is not for fermentation. Your fermentation is supposed to be done before you go into secondary.

And regardless of vessel, only allowing 5 days to ferment and 5 days to condition is rushing it big time. Most beers need at very least 3 weeks total, probably 2 minimum if it's a hoppy beer you want fresh and don't mind it tasting "green".

I see you're in a rush, but beer works at it's own schedule. You cannot rush it.

Ok should I rack it back to the carboy and add another yeast packet to finish it out when I get home?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't do that, you risk oxidation and you might get it down to 1.016, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. Since it's a keg, there's no worry about bottle bombs, I would bet it won't drop but you could try to keep it at room temp or warmer for a while to see what happens, but in your shoes, I'd just drink it as is. 10 days at 70 for a low-ish gravity beer, it was probably done. I would guess you underpitched or mashed at too high of a temperature, next time make a starter or use more yeast, or watch your mash temps.

I read with a hydrometer. Did 1000ml starter with 3oz of dme on a stir plate for 2-3 days. Mash was right between 150-153 running a Hermes system the entire hour. I just screwed up taking out primary to quick. Had three taps dry up in keezer in last week and just tried to push it. Krausen looked to have dropped and I hadn't seen airlock move in a day or so, so I went ahead moved to primary without doing a reading. That was stupid... Live and learn not to make that mistake again. I went ahead and put in the keezer before I left. It tasted good, so in not going to worry about it and just learn from the mistakes.

When do you normally do your first primary reading 7 days, 10, 14? How many times do you check before moving over to secondary with the same reading. I know many just keep in the primary, but I usually need our larger fermenter open, so I move to a secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So... What I did; kept with kegging and then purged co2 several times. 30lbs then released then put 10lbs in and left it. Then put back into the closet.

Thoughts? I'll recheck the gravity when I get back or do I just go ahead and throw it in the keezer?

Probably best to leave it in the closet and go on vacation, unless you will NEED some beer upon your return, then put it in the keezer.

Back