Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 199714

Reaction score
Once primary fermentation is complete (1 week in, air lock is slowed to almost no action), is it OK to move the beer (in secondary or left in the primary) to an area that is below the ideal ambient temp for the yeast, or should this temp be maintained throughout both primary and secondary fermentation (conditioning)?

Thanks

Depends on how far below ambient you are talking about. If you get it way below the yeasts working temps then it may stop them before they are done.
Leave in primary (unless you are dry hopping, adding fruit, etc..)

Lots of beers go through cold conditioning or even just cold crashing. No issue as long as you are sure fermentation is complete. I would suggest increasing temp after a week to make sure it is complete. Then proceed with cold conditioning.

Airlock activity slows but the yeasties are sill working on clean-up duty. You can allow the temp to rise a bit to help things finish but i wouldn't allow the temp to drop too much if you can help it.

I agree with the rest. You can for sure lower the temperature as a "cold crash" to let everything settle out, but I wouldn't do this until fermentation is complete and you are ready to bottle.

I like to step up temperature slightly toward the end of fermentation. I let it go for a week and then move the carboy to an area that is slightly warmer..it is said that this helps the yeast clean up and finish out nice.

I've heard that it's good to let the temp come up some as fermentation nears completion. I've also heard that the active yeast create a certain amount of heat during fermentation. I live in the desert, am fermenting my second ever batch (brown ale) now. My fermenter is wrapped in an evaporative-cooling towel and the lowest temp I can maintain is about 71 (without cranking the house a/c down). My first batch did quite well at this temp so I expect the same. Anyhoo, my question is, should I let the temp rise when the air-lock slows to a crawl? ...and if so, how high would be too high? Thanx much for any advice!

Anyhoo, my question is, should I let the temp rise when the air-lock slows to a crawl? ...and if so, how high would be too high?

BNB,

It depends on the yeast that you are using. Look up the temperature specs. After it slows down to nothing, I would let the temperature rise to just below the maximum temperature by 1 or 2 degrees F.

:mug:

I've heard that it's good to let the temp come up some as fermentation nears completion. I've also heard that the active yeast create a certain amount of heat during fermentation. I live in the desert, am fermenting my second ever batch (brown ale) now. My fermenter is wrapped in an evaporative-cooling towel and the lowest temp I can maintain is about 71 (without cranking the house a/c down). My first batch did quite well at this temp so I expect the same. Anyhoo, my question is, should I let the temp rise when the air-lock slows to a crawl? ...and if so, how high would be too high? Thanx much for any advice!

is this the ambient temp, or the temp inside the fermenter? if that's the temp inside the fermenter, you're not at too high of a temp yet. if that's the ambient, it could be likely you're +5F or more inside during the most vigorous parts of fermentation. look up other methods like a swamp cooler or something like that until you have the capacity to have a temp controlled ferm chamber. i would personally not be fermenting without some kind of temp control in such a warm place. unless you're only ever doing belgians or hefes.

Yeast are lazy. They eat the easy stuff then go to sleep or die if the abv is high. Bumping the temp later in fermentation coaxes them to keep working, increasing attenuation, producing a better fermentation profile. Bumping the temp late in fermentation, even if its beyond the recommended temp range of the beer is generally safe since the vast majority of yeast flavor profile is completed early.

I have been able to hold the temp @ 71F inside the fermenter for the last day or two (during the most active fermentation) using a wet-towel wrap. Fermentation began slowing last night and when I got home from work today I noticed the temp has dropped by a degree or a little more. Should I disallow this drop in temp by removing the towel wrap? If I do, is it okay for the fermenter temp to cycle daily up and down by a couple of degrees?

I have been able to hold the temp @ 71F inside the fermenter for the last day or two (during the most active fermentation) using a wet-towel wrap. Fermentation began slowing last night and when I got home from work today I noticed the temp has dropped by a degree or a little more. Should I disallow this drop in temp by removing the towel wrap? If I do, is it okay for the fermenter temp to cycle daily up and down by a couple of degrees?

the way most homebrewers are doing these days is fermenting around 65-68F during the most active part of fermentation, 3-7 days, then letting it warm up to about 70-71F. a lot of people talk about ferment temp control being below a certain temp. but from what i've read about yeast, if you could keep it at a steady temp throughout fermentation, that would be better than it swinging from, say, 65-69 every day. if you can maintain one pretty constant temp during the first few days, then allow it to rise, but still at a fairly consistent rate and/or temp, i think that would be ideal.

Some yeast aren't as sensitive to a few degree swing ('low' to 'medium' flocculant yeasts, generally) and some are ('high' flocculant British strains mostly). A 2 degree drop in some British strains will have them shut down and fall out of suspension. Regardless, do your best to keep a very consistent temp for the first 3-4 days at a minimum.

I agree on the steady temperature for ales. I understand you are using a swamp cooler. The sooner you can get a temp controlled freezer the easier it will be for you to make exact changes to your fermenting temperatures.

I don't disagree with this statement. And for the record, I did build a fermentation chamber, which I think is the best thing since sliced bread. But, you can ferment good beer using the swap cooler method. It just tastes more vigilance, more effort, more ice... Ok, it's a pain in the butt. But it can be done! Because I did it before I built my chamber!

:mug:

At 71 degrees I would not bother with it. It does not sound like fine temp control is easily accessible....when I bump up the temp at end of fermentation its usually around 2-4 degrees, and I typically like to ferment on the cool end. I don't raise it to much. I would let it sit on yeast for 2-3 weeks just to ensure everything cleaned up...then cold crash.

Back