Fermentation temperature issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertramus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently brewed a simple saison using mangrove jacks m29 French saison yeast. I have been fermenting it hot 28c and it has been giving me fantastic spicy, phenolic flavours.

My concern is how long to keep it hot? I pitched in Saturday evening with a sg of 1.06. Gravity readings have been at 1.006 for the last two days and I am pretty sure this is where it's stopping. Should I return the FV to normal room temps 18-19c or leave longer at 28c.

I am in Scotland and abnormally high temps kind of freak me out. My gut feeling is after primary has finished return to normal temps. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the yeast. The yeast may finish quick or the yeast may take its time to finish the last couple of gravity points. I would just keep it at the fermentation temperature for a few more days to be safe then check the SG again.

I've only used the French Saison yeast a few times, but I've heard that a good method is to run it at about 65F (18C) and after 3 days or so, ramp it up to about 75F until its done. I don't believe the ending temperature is all that critical, but when its done fermenting, I don't see any advantage to leaving the beer at a higher than ambient temperature. If you have a gallon jug, you could siphon some off and leave that at higher temperature and let the rest of it cool down and see if you notice a difference. If you were going to age it in bulk for a while before bottling/kegging, I would think a cooler storage environment would be preferred.

Thanks for the replies. I will leave it at 28c for a coupe of days to see if it drops further before returning to room temp. I had read that it should be fermented hot for 2 weeks but I don't think I will leave it much over one week.

Thanks again.

I routinely ferment Saison yeast (3711, Belle Saison) at 85F (sometimes higher) all summer long. No cooling is needed for nice saison flavor.

Back