Fermentation Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAleBastard

Reaction score
I'm struggling to use my temperature controller efficiently so looking for a few pointers to prevent making infected beer.
I bought an Stc1000 and using trace heating tape within an insulated jacket to set the temperature of the fermenter. This negates the opportunity to put the temperature sensor on the side of the bucket.

On my current batch I've basically fed the probe through the same bung as the airlock. It is sanitised but I reckon I've taken a risk.

Does anyone have a better idea? I live in a small flat so no chance of a temperature controlled fridge or other sizeable equipment

Can you post a picture of your setup? Is there really no way to tape the probe to the outside of the bucket? I can't fully picture what you're describing so it's difficult to offer solutions! :)

To help prevent infection, I would not put the probe in the beer. There are lots of books and crannies in the probe that may be difficult to sanitize before putting in your beer. Also, people have stated on here that they don't think the probe is food-grade and therefore shouldn't be in the beer itself. If you really can't put the probe on the outer wall of the bucket, try to find a stainless steel thermowell that will work on your bucket. It will allow you to put the probe into the beer without risking contamination (the SS thermowell will be much easier to sanitize).

Hope this helps!

Just use gaffer tape to tape it to the side of your bucket.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Back