Keg temperature inconsistent with temperature controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For my keezer, I've got an Inkbird temperature controller with the probe in a gallon jug of water inside. The jug is sitting on a small panel of styrofoam to insulate it from the floor (similar for the wall it is near). The controller is set to 36F +/- 3F. When I poured a pint yesterday, just for S's and G's, I decided to measure the temperature of the beer in my glass, and surprisingly it's around 50F.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to control the temperature in the keezer so the beer in the kegs are at the appropriate temperature? I figured a jug of water for the probe would be good enough... I'm shooting for ~40F or so, and clearly lowering the controller doesn't help all to much.

Thanks in advance.

The thermometer I tested the poured beer with was also put in the jug, which was essentially the same as the probe on the keezer. Also tested the beer with a spare Inkbird and another thermometer because I didnt believe it, but they were also in the 50F ballpark. So I think the temperature differential is close to what I noticed.

Did you cool the glass to the same temp as the keezer indicated?
I'd test the temp as it comes out of the tap once the tap has had a chance to cool down as well.

With a keezer, you can have significant temperature stratification. Just to confirm, serving out of picnic taps (no draft tower)?

Your best bet is to put in a small fan (I used an old computer fan wired up to a wall wort DC transformer I had kicking around). If you have a tower, it can also help to direct air into it as well to keep the lines cold.

Sorry, I forgot that info.. I've got a wooden collar on the keezer with faucets going through, no picnic taps. Also have a computer fan wired in there spinning constantly. It's odd, I feel like I've got it all set up right but it doesn't want to work for me! haha

Though maybe I'll toss one of my old picnic taps on just to confirm the keg temp is warmer than it should be.

You could just move that container with water nearer the top of the keezer or take the temp probe and blu tack and insulate it on the keg line you are interested in then repour. As @Beholder says temperature will change a lot in a keezer and in the pipes.

For my keezer, I've got an Inkbird temperature controller with the probe in a gallon jug of water inside. The jug is sitting on a small panel of styrofoam to insulate it from the floor (similar for the wall it is near). The controller is set to 36F +/- 3F. When I poured a pint yesterday, just for S's and G's, I decided to measure the temperature of the beer in my glass, and surprisingly it's around 50F.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better way to control the temperature in the keezer so the beer in the kegs are at the appropriate temperature? I figured a jug of water for the probe would be good enough... I'm shooting for ~40F or so, and clearly lowering the controller doesn't help all to much.

Thanks in advance.

In order to get an accurate measure of the beer temperature you should pour a pint in a separate container and then pour another pint and measure that one. The first pour gets the lines and tap cold as they will be slightly warmer than the beer in the keg.

After insulating the jug of water from the sides/bottom of the freezer, lowering the nominal temperature, and lowering the temperature differential for when the compressor kicks on, the beer is now around 41 degrees. Think that's good enough for now, thanks everyone!

Back