fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdsdaword

Reaction score
I am making the clone of nugget nector and started fermentation on Sunday. When I came home today the room temp was at 73 and its supposed to ferment between 65-70. I was able to bring it down to 70 quickly and now have it under control. Bubbles are still very active so Im hoping its ok. What are the odds that this batch is already ruined since I was fermenting over 70 degrees for half of a day? Any insight will be appreciated.

thanks

Do you by chance know the exact yeast you used? I always try to hit the lower end of a fermentation range. I'm sure your beer is fine just might have a little hint of flavors from fermenting at a bit hight of a temp.

During the first 4 or 5 days, yeast fermenting at higher temps will produce more phenols, so depending on your beer style it would be ok, or maybe a little off flavor. But you said that it was half a day... probably you will not notice any off flavor.

To answer your question, the odds that to your batch is ruined is approximately zero. Ask kstiglich said, you may or may not even notice anything in the aroma or flavor at all.

Definitely RDWHAHB :)

But longer term, what's your plan to control fermentation temps?

Back