Fermentation temp'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
Could a fermentation in the mid-high 70's cause a beer lose it's body and make it too thin? The first beer i made fermented in those temperatures and i want too know how it affected it so i wont make the same mistakes.
the next one i'm thinking about mid-high 60's.

Extract, DME, the malt bill wasn't too high, 2.5 kg+0.25 kg date honey and 0.5 kg of oatmeal concentrate. boiled it for about 50-55 minutes around 68-70 F, fermented for 7 days and 5 days for the second time.

Fermenting in the mid 60's to 70F is a good idea. But that's not your problem. It seems to me like you made a boo boo in either not though fermentable sugars or you topped your wort off with too much water. Retrace your recipe from the start. Was this a extract or all grain kit? What was your OG and FG?

All dme, like i wrote before, no grains.
It could be that the malt bill simply was too low/too much water? about 22 liters in my case or maybe it fermented for too long?

What was your OG and what is your FG? Also, are you tasting green, flat beer? Carbonation and conditioning contributes heavily to mouthfeel.

I did'nt measure, so i don't know.
flat? no, it has a head and a nice carbonation, it's just very thin bodied, I wanted to know what are the parameters that influence that in dme beers because there was no mashing involved, of course the next time i will measure. i will also use a bit of specialty grains.
I was told that both low grain/malt bill and fermentation which is too warm could do that, i wanted to know if there is another possibility.

It looks like you used quite a bit of honey? Honey ferments out completely, unlike malt extract, which leaves some body and fermentables behind. Honey and sugar both create "thin" dry beers.

Back