Fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grem135

Reaction score
I have read many posts about temp control and what temp to keep your primary at. I also realize that the temp in my primary will be about 8-10f higher during active fermentation. But one thing is not quite clear to me. When you say temp range should be 62-67f is that the ambient temp (say in the swamp cooler water or fermentation chamber) or the beer temp in the primary? :confused: I currently have wheat that has been sitting in a swamp cooler with water temps ranging 60-65f.
Thanks

When a recipe has a temperature to ferment at, it means the actual temperature of the fermenting wort. Some use a temperature probe that actually fits into the top of the fermenter and into the wort. I just duct tape a temperature probe to the side of the carboy. But, if your swamp cooler is in the low to mid 60s, then I would say the fermenting beer is pretty close to that.

If you have plenty of water in the swamp cooler, the temperature of the wort/beer will be about the same. The water acts as a pretty good heat sink.

Thanks guys. I remember reading that it is good to let it warm up after 4 or 5 days. I can't find the post now though. Is this correct or......

The real determinate is what yeast you are using. All strains of yeast have ideal temperature ranges. This info is typically available on the manufacturer's web site. What yeast are you using?

I am really looking forward to this batch. My first 2 batches were fermented at room temp of about 72 - 75f and had some off flavors but still better than BMC beers. Drinking one of the brown ales now.

Back