Fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opus_X

Reaction score
I've come to the realization that I'm fermenting my ales at too high a temp. I've seen suggestions about using a swamp bucket/ tub to set the carboy in, and to supplement the water in the bucket/ tub with frozen bottled water.

My question is, is that ok if my carboy is a better bottle with a racking spigot? The spigot outside the bottle would be under water. Are there any sanitation issues with that? Maybe a few drops of bleach in the swamp tub water?

I don't have a basement or a closet that gets very cool in the Georgia summers. My brews have been fermenting in the high 70's low 80's and aren't turning out at the quality I would like. So, I figured I would start by refining my fermentation process.

I keep a spray bottle of mixed up star San and whenever I encounter a situation like that I just spray what I'm worried about and come back a couple minutes later.

As long as the spigot doesn't extend below the bottle and does not hit anything inside your swamp cooler it should be ok.

But, I would not use the spigot afterward for racking. I would siphon out of the top.

I don't have a spigot but think I would prefer to siphon anyway. It gives me control over what gets transferred.

kh54s10 said:
As long as the spigot doesn't extend below the bottle and does not hit anything inside your swamp cooler it should be ok.

But, I would not use the spigot afterward for racking. I would siphon out of the top.

I don't have a spigot but think I would prefer to siphon anyway. It gives me control over what gets transferred.

I believe the better bottle spigots have an adjustable racking port to keep it above the yeast cake. Could be wrong tho.

I think the issue would be possible gunk from the swamp cooler contaminating the beer as it flows through the spigot when bottling or transferring. Not to be too paranoid but in this case I think I would use the racking cane to prevent any issues.

B

Thanks for the suggestions.

I usually rack from the spigot which has a racking cane inside the bottle above the yeast cake. I would like to keep doing it that way so I will probably need to find a different way to control the temp.

Opus_X said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I usually rack from the spigot which has a racking cane inside the bottle above the yeast cake. I would like to keep doing it that way so I will probably need to find a different way to control the temp.

You have to have some Sanitizer somewhere during bottling / racking day don't u? Just clean and sanitize the port before you open it.

An idea I have read about is to put the fermentor in a tub of water and instead of submerging it, put it on something to keep it out of the water. Wrap some towels or blankets or something around the fermentor and make sure they are in the water.

Once setup, place a fan nearby and blow air onto the cloth. The circulating air should evaporate the water and not only cool the fermentor but also wick the water up into the cloth to keep it moistened. This should keep the spigot out of the water but still keep things relatively cool!

Obviously you'd have to check the water level from time to time and I would probably put a sanitizer in it so the cloth doesn't mold or mildew. The thickness of the cloth and speed of the fan would have to worked out too!

My 2 cents!

Good luck

Is there a sanitizer that can be used for extended periods with BBs? If so, just mix it up to proper dilution and use it as your water bath. Evaporative cooling shouldn't really care what else is in with the water. I know Starsan is acidic, and prolonged exposure to plastic is a bad idea, but is there another product you could use instead?

Otherwise, the spray bottle idea will work perfectly.

I don't know, personally I wouldn't submerge the spigot. My swamp cooler water gets pretty nasty pretty quickly. It's got to be crawling with nasties.

I believe the better bottle spigots have an adjustable racking port to keep it above the yeast cake. Could be wrong tho.

I was thinking more about breaking the spigot or pushing it out of line and losing the seal.

My swamp cooler water gets nasty enough that I would no want my precious beer going through the spigot no matter how much sanitizer I would spray on it.

I used an old cabinet with ice bottles my first time cooling. It does not work as well as sitting in water but did work.

You could also keep your fermentor in a garbage bag and then submerge it so no water touches the spigot...

Back