Fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick562

Reaction score
I made an IPA with Nottingham that fermented between 73-76 it tastes fine but now i want to use it for a Porter that will be at the same temp for fermentation anything i sound look out for by fermenting past Nottingham's optimum fermentation temperature range.

Also i washed the yest from the IPA i brewed and im wondering if i can use it in the porter i will be making or should i stick to the style that the yeast where washed from.

You can probably reuse it but man those are really pushing the temps. Definitely make an effort to keep the beer under 70 degrees in the first few days of fermentation. Fermenting high leads to some crazy nasty yeasty flavors. Overly spicy, loads of diacetyl, hot alcohols are some of the biggest things to look out for.

If you get nasty hangovers, or even headaches and didn't drink too much after drinking a few of these, it's the ferment temp.

That's high. You have probably got a lot of fusel alcolols in the beer which will do that. If you stick to one beer a day, you will be fine.

Just a word of warning. If you want to ferment at that temp make Saisons.

my beer turned out ok but i do get a alcohol taste at the end of the beer but its not "hot" i havent drank more then one so far should i be concerned about drink to many of these beers if there is a high amount of fusel alcohol in them? I never heard of them until now should of read more i guess.

It will just lead to a terrible hangover. Once you've had a fusel alcohol hangover you will never forget it. It's not the same as a regular one to me, it makes you stupid. That being said, I wouldn't be overly concerned at that temp. I tend to ferment my IPAs around 74F because I like the esters the yeast kicks off. I don't do that with every beer though.

Back