Fermentation Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpm2348

Reaction score
Hi, I am a beginner brewing my first batch. I am making an Irish Red and after about a week i forgot to leave my AC on, when I arrive home it is about 81 degrees in my apartment for a good 8 hours. Will this affect my yeast in the fermentation process?

Thanks

After a week the flavor profile is pretty well established so you should be OK.

But what you should keep in mind is that if your beer is done fermenting (no longer producing CO2) the higher temperature will effect the amount of CO2 in solution and the amount of CO2 in solution will effect the amount of priming sugar that you need.

Check out these BYO charts.

Section B represents the highest temperature that your beer was at after fermentation is complete. This is because less CO2 will remain in suspension at higher temperatures.

Enjoy your beer!

Temperature control is more important during the first highly exothermic phase of fermentation, but high temps can still cause off flavors later. If there are any off flavors, if you allow it to ferment a little at a decent temperature, though, all those should smooth out.

Back