Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodoChaska

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am new here and I want to start brewing, I am looking something for controlling the temperature of the fermentation process, I wanted to buy a freezer along with a ITC-308s to directly plug it into the wall and start fermenting but sadly in my country I can't find the ITC, so I was thinking in getting a temp controller such a love control, or a full gauge or a EMKO, and do the the wiring directly inside the freezer, does any of you have done this before? is it possible to do what I want to do? could it mess with the normal functioning of the freezer?
I would really appreciate your help.

Greetings from Bolivia, and sorry for my English.

p.s. I attached the picture of one of the controllers I am able to get here.

Attachments

• 120347229_679167449669823_518182727342584908_n.jpg
    120347229_679167449669823_518182727342584908_n.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello, have you considered using a relay? You would be able to set up that controller to turn the relay coil on and off, and then wire the freezer plug thru the relay. That way you can use the controller but don’t have to ruin the wiring inside the freezer

I have my temp controller mounted to a small piece of plywood along with a duplex receptacle. Here in the US the receptacles can be electrically isolated by removing 2 small tabs inside. The outlets are wired into the temp controller. One for heating one for cooling. The temp controller gets plugged into the wall, and the heat and cooling source get plugged into the receptacles. The whole shebang hangs on the side of the chest freezer.

I have a Love controller on my keezer. You wire it just like any other external controller, in the sense that you use it to turn power to the whole freezer on/off, i.e. you don't wire it to the freezers internals, if that's what you meant by "wiring directly inside the freezer."

Greetings @RodoChaska, and welcome to the forums at Home Brew Talk :mug:

A dual stage Love controller would work quite nicely as a fermentation chamber controller. I still have a TSS2-2100 dual stage 120vac unit, mounted in a small plastic enclosure with a duplex AC socket in the back, as a backup in case one of my BrewPi satellites were to fail. Freezer simply plugs right in; the challenge is getting a heater inside a chest freezer, without simply pinching the cord between lid and cabinet. I ran everything through the lid itself, coming in through the back edge...

Cheers!

Back