Fermentation Temp Change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
So I have my 1st batch fermenting right now. It's the NB Nut Brown extract kit. I used Wyeast 1945. For the 1st 120 hours of fermentation it sat at about 68 degrees in my cellar. However today the temp dropped down to more like 64. I want a slightly fruity flavor, so I took it inside to where it's at about 72-73. Wyeast suggests this yeast to ferment between 66 and 74. Think I made the right call by moving it inside my house and into the 72 degree zone?

After the first 3-5 days, the effect of temperature on fermentation is somewhat diminished. A common consensus though is that a slow increase in temps towards the end of the fermentation is a good schedule, it will help increase activity with the yeast during their most dormant stage and help avoid stuck fermentations.

So long story short, yes, you made a good move.

Let me know how the nut brown turned out, I did the NB Honey Brown kit a while back and am still enjoying the bottles. It's a very good beer.

Awesome. Thanks for the reassurance man. Glad to hear your Honey Brown turned out well. Since this is my first brew, I really hope it turns out decent.

Back