Fermentation Sluggish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
Brewed an 5 gallon all grain Oskar Blues Pinner IPA and pitched WLP001 California Ale Yeast from yeast starter. Placed fermenter in my fermentation chamber at a temperature of 68 degrees. After 2 days there appears to be very little fermentation going on. Perhaps it is a less than vigorous fermentation because of the temperature. My question is, should I crank up the temperature a little, say to 70 degrees, to get the yeast more active.

Thanks.

68 is a good temp for that yeast. Maybe even a little warm to start. Because it hasn’t started yet, I wouldn’t cool it, and I wouldn’t warm it either. I think you just need to wait a bit.

Can you add more details, like recipe, did you make a starter, how big, and did you aerate the wort?

You say there’s very little activity, which leads me to believe there’s some. I think just waiting a little longer, it’ll probably get going.

I did make yeast starter and aerated as like I have for other beers that have had very good yeast activity, but at a higher temperature. This is the first time I've been able to control the temp with a fermentation chamber. The OG was 1060.

Thank you for your comments. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

We ferment that yeast commercially at 68.5F so your temp is good. Check your gravity on day three and see if you have any change...that yeast usually finishes for me in 4-5 days

Gravity after 3 days is 1030. Starting gravity was 1060. Have another vial of WLP001. Should I pitch it?

Raised temp to 71 but still no activity. This is now day 5. Appears that yeast did part of its job as gravity went from 1060 to 1030 within 2 or so days. What should I do....give it more time at a higher temp or add more yeast? Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back