Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKIDOO9199

Reaction score
My last batch I brewed wasnt very alcoholic. I have been thinking of putting a little priming sugar in my carboy for this one. It has been fermenting for 8 days as of today. Oh I also keg my beer and force carbonate it so its not like I am doubling the sugar or anything. Anybody agree or disagree? How much priming sugar to 5gal?

Bad idea. If you want more alcohol then use more malt to begin with. Adding priming sugar, while it will increase the alcohol, will just add a cidery taste and take away from the beer's body.

What was the original gravity and what is the current gravity reading? If you work out how much alcohol it has already produced you may find that adding sugar is not necessary.

As for the un-alcoholic batch - did it it ferment out to target final gravity? If not, that may be the reason for the problem, so doctoring your beer with sugar is not the right solution (well - it might be. but for a different reason)

Let us know.

I accidently smashed my hydrometer with my stirring spoon so I havent recieved my new one yet.
the recipe is
3.3 lbs plain light malt extract
2lbs. plain light dry malt extract
12 oz. crushed carapils malt
1oz sterling hops (Bittering)
1oz. saaz hops (finishing)
I only used about 1.5oz out of 2oz. of hops. My last batch was pretty bitter.
I am new at this so I am purchasing these brewers best kits. I plan on gradually going more and more from scratch. Ok well you guys convinced me not to add the sugar so I am not going to. I have this book called "How to Brew Beer right the first Time" and it tells me to have it ferment a solid 2 weeks vs. the instructions say 3-8 days which seems way to soon.

Keep it in there for at least 2 weeks. Are you at 5 gallons or did you add more to get 5 in the keg? I have used the BB English Pale ale kit several times and it is always a hit.

Sorry about your hydrometer - that sucks!

This style is supposed to be low in alcohol - about 3.5 to 4% ABV. I'm a Brit myself so I know!

I grew up drinking 6-10 pints of this stuff in an evening (20 oz imperial pints), so it can't be too strong or the legs don't work very well:drunk: I always have this in a keg ready to guzzle a few pints!

If the alcohol was even lower than this then it probably did not finish fermenting, so just leave it in primary until the bubbles stop. Could leave for 3 weeks if you can stand it!

The other thing to watch is the temperature. Make sure it is not too cold. Probably want to aim for 68 F.

Let us know how it turns out - good luck!

Well thanks for the replies guys. I had it sitting for for two weeks in the fermenter and I started force carbonating it a few days ago. I had to try some. Yes its a little on the flat side but very tasty!

Back