Fermentation Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evans5150

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a quick question about fermentation. I have my first batch ever currently fermenting. It has been about 48 hours and the temperature in the house fluctuates between 60F and 70F. Yesterday the airlock was bubbling about once a second. This morning when I woke up I checked it and it was bubbling about once every 30 seconds. Is this need for concern as this is only day 2 and it has slowed down that much? Also...the 2 liquid levels in the airlock are not level with each other which I'm assuming is a good sign. (I use cheap vodka instead of water).

Thanks,

evans5150

It probably just cooled off. The previous night the yeast were more active and kept the fermenter warmer. Wrap it in a blanket this evening.

Ferments can complete in 48 hours. If this was a kit that uses table sugar and extract with a low starting gravity, it may be close to done. Give it a week or get a hydrometer and check the gravity.

The amount of time it takes to ferment depends on the yeast you use, the SG of the wort, the temperature, and probably a few other factors I can't think of. When the yeast has eaten the majority of its food it will slow activity and begin to go into dormancy. Usually you will only see 1-2 days of vigorous activity, sometimes less.
Don't worry too much.

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it as this is my first batch. Here are the details of my 5 gallon batch (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone):

6 lbs. Light Malt Extract, 1 lb. Crushed 60L Caramel Malt (steeped before being put into the wort), 2 oz. Cascade Hops, 2 oz. Perle Hops

The OG was 1.044. Here is my dilemma. I purchased a hydrometer from my local homebrewer but didn't receive a tube to take a sample from the fermentation bucket with. I don't want to open the bucket to take out a sample and I was wondering if there is anything else I can use in place of the glass tube to take the sample with so I can tell what the gravity is currently at. Again...it's only been 2 full days of fermenting.

Thanks in advance.

evans5150

Buy a sample tube. The alternative is using a glass and wasting a lot more brew. With only 2 days fermenting, give it another 5 days before you draw a sample. Do it too often and you won't have enough left over to drink.

Yeah...I was going to go buy a sample tube but wanted to see if there were any other alternatives. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't letting it ferment too long by waiting the full 7 days after it's only bubbling once every 30 seconds or so. I was reading that OVER-fermenting is bad....but I guess not.

Try a glass flower vase? Plastic cigar tubes? Clear plastic hose? Apiece of pipe filled to top? And, don't waste the sample, and don't contaminate the brew by pouring it back in.....drink it! Flat, but should taste like beer at this stage. Taste you brew at every stage, get to know how it progresses. Have fun!

Back