Fermentation Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
Ok so I had a stuck fermentation I guess. Last weekend I moved 2 of my ales into a closet to raise their temp some and swirled the buckets. In just over a day fermentation started again. This was Tuesday. So this weekend if I am at final gravity finally should I bottle them or give them more time for clean up? How many days cleanup does yeast need and should I count any of the previous ferment time towards that? It is at final gravity now so should I bottle if it is has not changed by Sunday?

Depends on the OG, FG, yeast, temperature, and brewer(y) to be honest...

I like 21 days primary for my 1.060 and under OG ales...
Doesn't hurt the beer to be cautious and wait a while (unless you're making Bitters.)

There is a growing trend on this site to let your primary go for around 4 weeks. I have made good beer in less than that but believe 3-4 weeks is a valid number. Beer kits say something like 7-10 days. Generally that is enough time to make decent beer with their kits. Do yourself a favor and wait at least 3 or 4 weeks before you even think about bottling.

Cheers!

This Sat will be at 21 days total primary. I'm not worried about time in primary I am more worried about what the stuck ferment will do in stalling the fermentation process.

When it comes to racking my beers this is where my laziness becomes a virtue. I personally watch the surface until it clears. Then I get around to it eventually. It works for me.

Even when I was making kit beers(BrewersBest), my beers were much better after I started leaving them in primary for 4 weeks. Now I don't even look at them until after 3 weeks, and usually bottle at 4 +/- a few days.

This Sat will be at 21 days total primary. I'm not worried about time in primary I am more worried about what the stuck ferment will do in stalling the fermentation process.

We've ALL had this worry, a mantra around here--RDWHAHB.

It should be fine, especially if fermentation started and only got half way finished before you started to panic. But if it never started, then maybe something else did...
The only way to know if it is finished is by taking gravity readings when you are near your target FG. When you think it is finished, take a gravity reading, wait three days and take one again. If there is no change you should be good to bottle.

The only way to know if it is any good is to try it, so use your senses, smell... taste... see...

Read up on stuck fermentation, and make sure you warm it up a bit and rouse the yeast, just like you have been doing.

Latest posts

Back