Fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain on Sunday. Everything went great. I even got 78% efficiency! Hit my target OG of 1.046 on the nose.

I brewed a simple Pilsner. A "Farmhouse Biere de Table" from Northern Brewer.

I used a 2 liter starter of Wyeast 3725 Bier de Garde yeast. I had good activity in six hours. Now 2 1/2 days later it is winding down. The yeast needed 70* to 84*. My temp was 73* to 77* so that was good.

My question is. Can I move it to a cooler place in a few days and leave it for the next two weeks in the primary? Will temps in the 60's be good or bad now that active fermentation is over?

This was batch number six since I started a year ago. First all grain. I love this "hobby"!

Yes, you can leave it in primary for a while. In the 60's is fine, so long as fermentation is finished. In fact, the beer may clean up some off-flavors in the time. Biere de Garde is often stored at near freezing temps for some time before being bottled.

Welcome to all-grain.

Back