Fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
I have a beer lined up to brew next week. It dawned on me that I could ferment inside my house at 67 degrees (farenheit) for the first 10-14 days, and then move my fermenter out to my back porch which is cold because of winter, and finish fermenting at a temp closer to 36F. My thinking is that this will help my yeast fallout and clean up my beer a bit. I've never done anything like this, thoughts?

unless it is a lager putting it at those temperature will make the yeast fall out of solution and stop fermentation. Now this is great if it is done fermenting but if it is not this will leave unfermented sugars in the beer and when you bottle condition it you risk over carbonation and/or bottle bombs. If you plan on doing this make 100% sure its at terminal gravity.

I think the first question would be is it an ale or a lager? If its an ale, let it ferment for three weeks in the fermenter and then cold crash it outside. If you are doing a lager, start the fermentation warm and then find a place cold, but not that cold; maybe a basement or place not directly outside. Do your diactyl rest for the 24hrs and then stick it outside in a secondary fermenter.

If you were using the outside temp to Cold Crash, then would it really matter if the temperature fluctuated some? As long as it was cold the yeast would settle.

If you were using the outside temp to Cold Crash, then would it really matter if the temperature fluctuated some? As long as it was cold the yeast would settle.

He mentioned finishing fermentation at 36F. That sounds like he is either lagering or trying to cold crash an ale after fermentation. Just need some clarification (no pun intended) on the type of beer he is making.

I'm making an IPA...it's not for any lagering effect, i just wanted to clear out the beer with a cold crash after terminal gravity has been reached. I pulled the 36F just from average temps I have been observing from a thermometer on the back porch. I think I will just stick to one fermentation temp rather than transferring, I used Safale-05 and it tends to clean itself up pretty well already.

Latest posts

Back