Fermentation only taking four days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ritsuko Akagi

Reaction score
I am trying to make my first batch of cider and every thing I read said fermentation should take about two weeks. I have my first batch of five gallons of cider The bubbling stopped after only about four day so I opened it up checked it today it was flat no bubbling. The initial gravity rating was 1.056 for around 8% and now it is around 1.00. So is it really done in such a sort amount of time? Is that normal?

The reason this is perplexing me I started a 1 gallon of mead at the same time, same room and that is still going strong.

Mead also typically ferments slower than fruit or grain, especially if you didn't give the yeast some nutrient.
But 3 days for a 1.056 to FG isn't unreasonable, especially if it was warm.

I had a half gallon of cider go from 1.050 to 1.000 in 3 days. With some yeast nutrient and temp at 68°. Part of the reason was pitching a whole 11.5 gr. pack of S-04 into just a half gallon.

Temperature matters too - at 60° (and not overpitching) it would've taken a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back