Fermentation mini-fridge list (brand and model)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyGunn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had this over in the "DIY Projects" section and I wasn't getting any feedback...so I moved it over here in hopes of getting some help.

I’m not sure about the rest of you guys…but not many stores in my area have mini-fridges on display…they’re all boxed up. Problem is, if I can’t see the insides, it makes it really hard to measure and/or pick a mini-fridge big enough to use as a fermentation chamber. It would also help when trying to find a mini-fridge on Kijiji/Craigslist. Not all 4.4 cu. ft. fridges are the same either, and with compressor “humps” and freezer compartments making them all different, I thought it might be a good idea to have one thread where people can list the brand and model of fridge they use for fermentation, maybe adding the type of fermentation vessel(s) it holds. It might help others in the same situation as me!

Most 5 and 7 cubic foot chest freezers will fit a fermentation bucket / carboy.

GE is one of the more reliable brands. You'll have a hard time finding name brands at the big box stores however. They'll generally carry the cheap off brands which can be finicky and not last as long you like. ~$150-$200.

Towards the end of this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brew-bucket-by-ss-brewing-technologies.446675/page-32

There's discussion of wine coolers that fit the SS Brewbucket. Wine coolers are more expensive but are front loading and have a more pleasing presentation than chest freezers.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/danby-...black-stainless-steel/4580021.p?skuId=4580021

You could also purchase an upright freezer which some prefer as it's easier than lifting fermenters in/out of a chest type freezers.

I know you're set on the 4.4 cu. ft. mini fridge, but those are normally limited in the size of the fermenters they can fit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Danby-4-4-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-in-Black-DAR044A4BDD-3/303714468

Last edited:
Most 5 and 7 cubic foot chest freezers will fit a fermentation bucket / carboy.

GE is one of the more reliable brands. You'll have a hard time finding name brands at the big box stores however. They'll generally carry the cheap off brands which can be finicky and not last as long you like. ~$150-$200.
GE stopped making thier own appliances about 5 years ago... they lease the rights to use their branding to electrolux now... same guys making 85% of all appliances these days including those off brands which are the same as the name brands in most cases just different warranty and support.

I just got my first fermentation chamber set up today. I found a 7.2ft3 chest freezer that fits two 6.5gal fermenting buckets side by side. No customization needed. The footprint is comparable to most of the 5.5ft3 freezers they had as well.

It's a Frigidaire FFFC07M1TW. https://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Freezers/Chest-Freezers/FFFC07M1TW/ .

I got it for $245.00cd at Home Depot on sale. Bought the inkbird temp controller and a heat wrap on amazon both for $90.00cd. Plug in ready.

I just got my first fermentation chamber set up today. I found a 7.2ft3 chest freezer that fits two 6.5gal fermenting buckets side by side. No customization needed. The footprint is comparable to most of the 5.5ft3 freezers they had as well.

It's a Frigidaire FFFC07M1TW. https://www.frigidaire.ca/Kitchen/Freezers/Chest-Freezers/FFFC07M1TW/ .

I got it for $245.00cd at Home Depot on sale. Bought the inkbird temp controller and a heat wrap on amazon both for $90.00cd. Plug in ready.

The more I look into this fermentation chamber idea, the better a chest freezer sounds. I brew 10 gallons anyway and space is at huge premium in my basement brewery. I was thinking I could put the freezer under a part of my brew bench (not under the keggles), attach the table top to the lid and I'd have the perfect solution. I have no room for a full fridge, and I'd need 2 mini-fridges (5 gallons each), so the freezer might be the best of both worlds.

The more I look into this fermentation chamber idea, the better a chest freezer sounds. I brew 10 gallons anyway and space is at huge premium in my basement brewery. I was thinking I could put the freezer under a part of my brew bench (not under the keggles), attach the table top to the lid and I'd have the perfect solution. I have no room for a full fridge, and I'd need 2 mini-fridges (5 gallons each), so the freezer might be the best of both worlds.

Ya I'm pretty happy I went with the freezer. I'm super happy with the amount of space in mine. Lots of stores trying to get rid of Christmas stock now too.

I recently bought this RCA 110 can beverage center. They sell for $200 on Walmart and include free shipping. It fits my Ss BrewMaster Bucket. It's tight but the door closes without hitting the LCD thermometer. Runs fairly quiet, temp range is 40F - 61F. I just bought an Amazon SmartPlug so I can turn it off and on by voice rather than have to pull the power from the wall. The blue LED front panel temp display is bright! I have the one pictured below in my bedroom (the pic shows it unplugged) and at night the light is just too damned bright and cannot be dimmed or turned off so I will likely drape a small towel over it. There's also an inside blue showcase light which is nice. Now, I tested by leaving a half gallon of water in it overnight set to 40F. In the morning I tested with two calibrated thermometers and both read the water at 43.9F. Really wished it brought it down to 40F so I can at least cold crash down to 40F but I think some plastic icepacks in tupperware (to collect condensation) should suffice. For $200 I think it's a great buy and I can still ferment lagers in it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-110-Can-4-Bottle-Beverage-Center-and-Wine-Cooler-Black/881607757

20190103_201909.jpg

I recently bought this RCA 110 can beverage center. They sell for $200 on Walmart and include free shipping. It fits my Ss BrewMaster Bucket. It's tight but the door closes without hitting the LCD thermometer. Runs fairly quiet, temp range is 40F - 61F. I just bought an Amazon SmartPlug so I can turn it off and on by voice rather than have to pull the power from the wall. The blue LED front panel temp display is bright! I have the one pictured below in my bedroom (the pic shows it unplugged) and at night the light is just too damned bright and cannot be dimmed or turned off so I will likely drape a small towel over it. There's also an inside blue showcase light which is nice. Now, I tested by leaving a half gallon of water in it overnight set to 40F. In the morning I tested with two calibrated thermometers and both read the water at 43.9F. Really wished it brought it down to 40F so I can at least cold crash down to 40F but I think some plastic icepacks in tupperware (to collect condensation) should suffice. For $200 I think it's a great buy and I can still ferment lagers in it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-110-Can-4-Bottle-Beverage-Center-and-Wine-Cooler-Black/881607757

View attachment 606357
it was designed to be a wine chiller which is why it doesnt go that cold. (you can bypass the temp controller like I did with my magic chef at home and use an stc1000 or inkbird to bring temps down to the 30s.
I have one that looks exactly like this one too at brewery but its branded differently as well (Igloo I think) like this one I missed. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/592828741151609?surface=product_details

I picked mine up for $75 used off facebook because the owners wife said it wasnt cold enough for soda..
Mine has a button to turn off the light inside but not the display..

Last edited:
Mine has a button to turn off the light inside but not the display..

Mine does too. I see these are mostly all the same rebranded units. Mine appears to be the same as the Tramontina. So how do you defeat the internal temp controller? That sounds like a good option.

Rev.

My Vissani/Magic Chef 52 bottle wine cooler looks just like that RCA. It was easy to bypass the thermostat and use an external controller, and it fits a Brew Bucket. I ended up with 2 of them thanks to Craigslist.

I checked and I don’t think it will fit an Anvil, the handles stick out too far.

Mine does too. I see these are mostly all the same rebranded units. Mine appears to be the same as the Tramontina. So how do you defeat the internal temp controller? That sounds like a good option.

Rev.
I havent done it on this particular one but I google my old wne and found quite a few threads and tutorials explaining how to bypass the thermostat its pretty easy on some models.

I have to laugh at what products are being sole with the RCA logo on them now... What does the "Radio Corporation of America" have to do with a wine fridge...

No
Not to be a total pain in the a$$...but do you happen to a have a picture of the inside of your freezer with the 2 buckets in it?

Cheers!
No problem. Sorry I took so long to get back to you. This is an ale pail and a fermonster. Both the same diameter.
20190115_182230.jpg

I havent done it on this particular one but I google my old wne and found quite a few threads and tutorials explaining how to bypass the thermostat its pretty easy on some models.

Cool, except for my specific unit outside of the Walmart page and an Amazon listing I can't find any other info on it. I can lookup one of the others that appear to be the same make. Quick question though, is the defeat usually done on the bottom backside of the unit or does it requiring opening it up typically?

Rev.

20181220_114715.jpg
Hey all,

I had this over in the "DIY Projects" section and I wasn't getting any feedback...so I moved it over here in hopes of getting some help.

I’m not sure about the rest of you guys…but not many stores in my area have mini-fridges on display…they’re all boxed up. Problem is, if I can’t see the insides, it makes it really hard to measure and/or pick a mini-fridge big enough to use as a fermentation chamber. It would also help when trying to find a mini-fridge on Kijiji/Craigslist. Not all 4.4 cu. ft. fridges are the same either, and with compressor “humps” and freezer compartments making them all different, I thought it might be a good idea to have one thread where people can list the brand and model of fridge they use for fermentation, maybe adding the type of fermentation vessel(s) it holds. It might help others in the same situation as me!
I had a bit of the same problem when searching for one. Mine is a Magic Chef 4.4. It will hold my 7 gal SS Brewbucket, or I can get my 3.5 gal SS mini brewbucket and a Mr Beer plastic fermenter with 2.25 gal in there together.
I've been very pleased with it.

Last edited:
Cool, except for my specific unit outside of the Walmart page and an Amazon listing I can't find any other info on it. I can lookup one of the others that appear to be the same make. Quick question though, is the defeat usually done on the bottom backside of the unit or does it requiring opening it up typically?

Rev.
you can bypass them down by the compressor or at the digital control box.

I have to laugh at what products are being sole with the RCA logo on them now... What does the "Radio Corporation of America" have to do with a wine fridge...
off topic sorta but you know the Toyota logo , the swirly looking T is actually a closeup of a piece of thread passing through the eye of a needle ,a commemoration of their original product...sewing machines.

View attachment 607444
I had a bit of the same problem when searching for one. Mine is a Magic Chef 4.4. It will hold my 7 gal SS Brewbucket, or I can get my 3.5 gal SS mini brewbucket and a Mr Beer plastic fermenter with 2.25 gal in there together.
I've been very pleased with it.

Will the Magic Chef 4.4 fit a Fermonster without altering the door? I believe the diameter is 11.3".

Latest posts

Back