Fermentation in a Tub of Water - Beer Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjmac

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to all of this and I'm making my first batch of Apfelwein/Cider. My last two batches of extract ales have turned out okay, but both have a distinct aftertaste (known as extract twang according to other posts on HBT). I thought it may be at least partially due to fermentation temps being too high initially(74 degree or so according to the sticker temperature sensor on the plastic fermenter bucket).

For the cider I submerged the plastic fermentation bucket in a large tub of water and I'm keeping the water temp at 62 degrees (according to a floating pool thermometer I have in the water). If the water is at 62 degrees am I safe assuming the fermenting wort is also at 62 degrees. Or is there a temperature difference due to exothermic yeast activity, etc. that I should be accounting for. So if I want my wort at 62 degrees I should keep the water at 58 degrees, for example.

I'm using nottingham yeast. It started slowly, but I have a good steady fermentation going on now.

The recipe and Edworts comments on this indicate that Apfelwein should be fermented in the mid 70's.

The recipe and Edworts comments on this indicate that Apfelwein should be fermented in the mid 70's.

Fermentation temperatures depend on the yeast strain. With Nottingham yeast, anything over 70 degrees tastes pretty nasty.

Anyway, if you have a large amount of water in the water bath, surrounding the fermenter, yes the temperature is about equal. Fermentation IS exothermic, but the water bath temperature will rise a bit, too with that heat. A water bath is a great insulator!

Yooperbrew - Yes, the temperature has risen to about 64 degrees a couple of time, but a 15 minute soak with a frozen water bottle brings it back down to 62 degrees pretty quickly. I attribute part of that to the ambient temp in my basement being about 70 degrees, too, though.

Thanks for your quick reply. Reassuring to know that floating thermometer is pretty much telling me the temp of my wort. I think if I can control my temps better I'm gonna' make much better beer/cider.

I think that is more applicable if you are using champagne yeasts. I'm using nottingham because I saw many people comment it results in a sweeter, less dry, apfelwein.

Part of my deal-making with SWMBO was that I would make her a hard cider if she would let me make a keezer. (Post #18 in link below). However, she wanted a sweet cider, nothing dry.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-chalkboard-painting-131740/index2.html

A large rubbermaid bin works really well too. I fill it half way with water and float frozen water bottles. It's easier to control the temps since it's a smaller volume of water.

Right now I have a bucket in the plastic bin and have added 4 water bottles in the last 48 hours. It also helps that the air temp in my garage is in the low-mid 60's.

I will add a 1 liter frozen bottle in the morning and one in the evening temps stay's at the 66°-68° range when ambient is 80°

Back