Fermentation Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britany

Reaction score
Hi!
I’m new to the home brewing process and need some help. This is my second batch, but first IPA. Today marks the 11th day of fermentation and it seems to have come to a stand still. Is this ready to be bottled? Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• 5F006AD9-29D8-4CA9-9C5D-7544DF0CF133.jpeg
    5F006AD9-29D8-4CA9-9C5D-7544DF0CF133.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 635E55CB-D8E9-411C-B38E-B4BFAD953464.jpeg
    635E55CB-D8E9-411C-B38E-B4BFAD953464.jpeg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 90
Yup, what gestyr said above. But also think about time to give the yeast a chance to cleanup. Some just let her rip 2 weeks no matter what and then package (bottle/keg, etc.) or cold crash for 24-36 hours and then package.

Hi!
I’m new to the home brewing process and need some help. This is my second batch, but first IPA. Today marks the 11th day of fermentation and it seems to have come to a stand still. Is this ready to be bottled? Thanks for any feedback!

Lets clear up some things about fermentation. First off, read this short article.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

From reading that you should know that fermentation for an ale yeast only lasts 2 to 3 days as the yeast rip through the easy to digest sugars, Then the yeast may spend another day or 2 cleaning up the byproducts of fermentation. From then on fermentation is complete and the rest of the time in the fermenter is just to allow the yeast and other trub to settle out. (caveat: one can have a stalled fermentation which delays the completion but it is rare)

At day 11, the ferment should be well over and a good amount of the trub settled out. At this point you need to use your hydrometer to verify that fermentation is complete and if it is, you can bottle....or you can wait. Waiting is hard as a new brewer but more time in the fermenter allows more of the yeast to settle out and the beer to begin maturing. I often wait 3 to 4 weeks (or more) to bottle but sometimes I get antsy and bottle on day 10 if fermentation is complete and the beer is clear, knowing that I will have more trub in the bottle than if I had waited longer.

2-3 days to hit FG with an ale yeast? Tell that to Wyeast 3724! (Ok, now let's debate whether it's an ale yeast or a hybrid...)

Back