Fermentation finished...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpastor1

Reaction score
I brewed some apple cider and about two days ago (10 Aug) racked it into a secondary fermenter. It had a spec grav of about 1.00 (initially 1.080). I'm somewhat unclear as to where to go now. I would like to transfer this into quart mason jars and carbonate it, but I don't know if there is any yeast left for carbonating in mason jars. Should I let it sit in the secondary fermenter to clear and then rack to jars or should I have racked from the 1st fermentation bucket right into the mason jars with some sugar and let it clear in the jars? Is it too late now to rack into mason jars and carbonate or will it be flat and it would be best to just let it finish clearing in the bucket since it's already there?

I brewed some apple cider and about two days ago (10 Aug) racked it into a secondary fermenter. It had a spec grav of about 1.00 (initially 1.080). I'm somewhat unclear as to where to go now. I would like to transfer this into quart mason jars and carbonate it, but I don't know if there is any yeast left for carbonating in mason jars. Should I let it sit in the secondary fermenter to clear and then rack to jars or should I have racked from the 1st fermentation bucket right into the mason jars with some sugar and let it clear in the jars? Is it too late now to rack into mason jars and carbonate or will it be flat and it would be best to just let it finish clearing in the bucket since it's already there?

I know absolutely nothing about making cider. An idea. If you are using a glass carboy or better bottle as a secondary, is there any yeast at the bottom? If you racked to clear there is probably yeast in suspension. Like beer enough yeast will be available for carbonating. Use bottles that will withstand internal pressure, like beer bottles. The clear Miller Hi-Life bottles would probably look pretty cool. Canning jars can take heat, but not pressure.
Anyone can shoot holes in this if you wish.

There will be plenty of yeast still in that batch for carbonation.
I did a batch last year- 4G cider plus 1G of a honey/water mix(2lb honey). She fermented well and went down to about 1.005 or so(don't have my notes here at work). I believe I kept it 2 weeks in primary, and 3-4 in a secondary conditioning carboy. I then bottled it with 2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate. It worked well, but I believe it's a little too well carbonated. This year I'll use 1 can. And she is still so dry that I have to add 1/2 tsp. of sugar to each glass. This year's batch will probably be more along the lines of a Graf.
I do have to second the admonition to not use canning jars. The seal on those is good on keeping bad stuff out because of the inner vacumn. But with carbonation the pressure builds up from inside, so the seal won't hold.

Latest posts

Back