Fermentation cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm building on of those cheapy ferm coolers out of the pink polystyrene. Do I put the wort in there right away or wait until fermentation starts?

Are you building the sort of cooler where you can set and maintain a temperature (like with an STC-1000)?

If so, pitch at a few degrees under your target temp and put the bucket/carboy in there right away. If you pitched a healthy amount of yeast, your brew shouldn't have any problem beginning fermentation and you'll avoid the sort of off-flavors that come with letting it get too warm.

BigFloyd said:
Are you building the sort of cooler where you can set and maintain a temperature (like with an STC-1000)?

If so, pitch at a few degrees under your target temp and put the bucket/carboy in there right away. If you pitched a healthy amount of yeast, your brew shouldn't have any problem beginning fermentation and you'll avoid the sort of off-flavors that come with letting it get too warm.

Yea I will be controlling the temp, thanks for the help.

Back