fermentation concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oztofreedom

Reaction score
Well my first batch is done and bottled. Not sure how it will taste. Had some flaws in my procedures. Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. Second batch went flawless up till fermentation. Within 8 hours started bubbling like mad then quit one day later. Temps were correct. Want to take a reading but don't want to open the bucket. Has anyone have suggestions or explanations of why it would stop bubbling so soon. First batch bubbled slowly for several days. Confused!

What yeast did you use on the second batch that stopped so suddenly? What was the temp? As I'm sure you know, airlock activity does not necessarily mean fermentation or lack thereof. I had a batch with nB's Neobritania 1945 have big airlock activity for a day and then suddenly drop completely. However, I racked that batch a week after pitching yeast as gravity fell to 1.018 and then airlock activity resumed for a few days and krausen slightly formed in the secondary. However, I think that was due to a slight rise in temp due to a change in weather.

Well my first batch is done and bottled. Not sure how it will taste. Had some flaws in my procedures. Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. Second batch went flawless up till fermentation. Within 8 hours started bubbling like mad then quit one day later. Temps were correct. Want to take a reading but don't want to open the bucket. Has anyone have suggestions or explanations of why it would stop bubbling so soon. First batch bubbled slowly for several days. Confused!

If your temps are correct and it started good I would guess you still have fermentation going on. All the airlock tells you is when fermentation is really active. That stage never lasts more than a short time.

When did you pitch and what yeast did you use? What temps are you holding?

Back