Fermentation complete???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
Ok so I have checked the gravity reading the last couple of days and it hasn't moved however I see things popping to the top of the beer and some things falling back in. Is this normal or is the yeast still working? Can I bottle or should I wait? It has been in the fermenting bucket for 2 weeks.

It's definitely normal to see that even after the SP stops moving. Usually it's just yeast blobs catching some bubbles for a ride to the top then a fall back down. What are your OG and current SG reading? If you had a nicely controlled fermentation, 2 weeks is probably good enough. But often the beer will mature faster overall if you leave it on the main yeast cake another week or so. You can let your own taste be the judge. If it tastes young (e.g. green apples, or some other odd flavor), give it a while longer. Otherwise as long as the SG reading is also low enough, you can bottle.

This is a Bavarian Hefeweizen. The OG was 1.050 and the FG is 1.010. It does not have any bad taste. It has a nice sweet taste.

Time to rack. That is yeast flocculating. Crashing into each other and sticking together.

Back