Fermentation COMPLETE in 4 DAYS?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WissahickonBrew

Reaction score
Before pitching two dry packs of Danstar Nottingham I read the label for whatever information I never took notice of before. There is very little information on the tiny packet beyond premixing instructions with warm water, etc. On the Danstar website however there is a great deal of information. What jumped out at me was the following under Nottingham:

Brewing Properties:

• Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 4 days above 17°C.

What am I misinterpreting? Can/should I expect the fermentation to be complete in 4 days as opposed to 15 - 21 days?????

There is always cleanup time, but the "fermentation" which is technically just the phase after lag/reproduction, where the sugar is converted to alcohol, can be quite short. The clean up phase and drop out come after that.

With the proper pitching rate and temperature control, the bulk of fermentation can be completed in 4 days for most yeasts.

Many people prefer to leave their beer on the yeast for an extended time to clean up fermentation byproducts.

There is a difference between a complete fermentation and a ready-to-drink beer. I keep my beers on in primary for 3-4 weeks, but ferm is done within the first week, easy.

Nottingham can be really quick at eating up lots of sugar. I've seen it go from pitching through krausen back to a clear surface in 3 days. However, over the following week gravity was still dropping by a few points and the taste changed a lot. Don't let it fool you into bottling too early!

Nottingham is awesome it's pretty much all I use and I have a dry stout that's only about 4% that i keg in 10 days and drink in 14 but I think active fermentation is done in three days especially when it's a repitch

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, what everyone else is saying. You wouldn't enjoy it after 4 days, but it will be done fermenting. Conditioning is what takes more time for the yeast to clean up most of the by-products produced during fermentation.

I've had beers with nottingham ferment overnight. I think almost ALL of my ales finish with fermentation by day 5, so it would be unusual for a beer to take more than 4-5 days to ferment out.

I'm usually drinking my beers by day 17, so I can't imagine them taking 14-21 days to ferment out.

Fermentation generally ends by day 3 in a properly made beer, so there is no reason to expect them to take 3 weeks!

Back