Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCbrewer no I'm not using a bucket but rather a FastFerment conical fermenter. There is a thermowell but I do not have the thermostat for it yet. There is kraeusen that I can see shining a light from the back of it. There was also some on the lid where the air lock is too which I can tell by the light method. It looks like it has already started to settle. I pulled the airlock quickly just to make sure the kraeusen didn't plug it and replaced it ASAP.

I just drained the ball tonight and there was already a lot of yeast and/or trub. Not really sure how to tell the difference. I'm about to replace it with a new ball sanitized with San Star and filled with distilled water that was boiled and cooled.
Maybe this will kick start the fermentation again. Time will tell. Thanks again for your help!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436624881.500564.jpg

Congratulations...fermentation is finished. Of course there's no real way of knowing that other than to take a gravity reading, but I suspect that fermentation has already completed. S-04 doesn't play around, and since the temperature likely rose much higher than 71, the S-04 went through it like a meth head goes through Wal-Mart.

It probably will have some major fusel alcohols and it may not be very good, but it's still beer. Of course, like I said, the only way to confirm is to check the gravity.

Congratulations...fermentation is finished. Of course there's no real way of knowing that other than to take a gravity reading, but I suspect that fermentation has already completed. S-04 doesn't play around, and since the temperature likely rose much higher than 71, the S-04 went through it like a meth head goes through Wal-Mart.

It probably will have some major fusel alcohols and it may not be very good, but it's still beer. Of course, like I said, the only way to confirm is to check the gravity.

Wow I had no idea fermentation would finish in less than a week!! Is there any issue letting it sit for another 10-14 days? I leave for vacation tomorrow. I figured if I brewed earlier this week it would give it 2-3 weeks to do its thing and be ready to keg when I return!!

I almost spit out my beer about your "meth addict at Walmart"!! Too funny!!!

Wow I had no idea fermentation would finish in less than a week!! Is there any issue letting it sit for another 10-14 days? I leave for vacation tomorrow. I figured if I brewed earlier this week it would give it 2-3 weeks to do its thing and be ready to keg when I return!!

I almost spit out my beer about your "meth addict at Walmart"!! Too funny!!!

It won't hurt it to leave it. S-04 really does have a violent fermentation, and the higher the temp, the faster it goes. Lots of people have hit FG in under a week even using proper temperature control, but it's not as likely.

It won't hurt it to leave it. S-04 really does have a violent fermentation, and the higher the temp, the faster it goes. Lots of people have hit FG in under a week even using proper temperature control, but it's not as likely.

Uatuba, do you think I should empty the ball one more time tonight to get rid of the remaining yeast before I leave tomorrow morning? From what I read it seems that Fusel Alcohol can be attributed to sitting on the yeast for too long. So with that being said it looks like most of it has dropped to the ball since making the swap last night. I'm thinking it can't hurt and then when I return there should be very little yeast & trub in the ball for a final dump before kegging it.

Thanks for your help & suggestions as well!!! :)

The reason the older books recommend getting the beer off the yeast quickly is autolysis. On a home brewing scale, this turns out to not be a problem unless it is on the yeast for months. I normally give my beer 3 weeks in the primary with no secondary - lots of brewers do this.

The reason the older books recommend getting the beer off the yeast quickly is autolysis. On a home brewing scale, this turns out to not be a problem unless it is on the yeast for months. I normally give my beer 3 weeks in the primary with no secondary - lots of brewers do this.

Awesome thanks NCbrewer!!! [emoji106]

I brewed a partial mash dunkelweisen yesterday about 4:00 p.m. This was my first full boil as I just got my wort chiller ( worked greast ) I checked it this morning about 3:30 a.m. noticed my room temp was about 62 degrees and no activity turned up my space heater and went to work. When I got home at 3:00p.m. still no activity room was 68 degrees. Noticed a slight foam on top of the wort . ( when I siphoned the wort into my firmenter pail I kept filling a sanitised milk jug half full and shoock the hell out of it) also mixed well when pitching yeast(white labs hefenweizen) so I think my areation was o.k. I think I'm learning the importance of making a starter now! I will check it again this evening and take a gravity reading. If I need to repitch I will have to get more yeast tomorrow. How do I go about repitching ? Do I need to areate it again and what is the best methodeto areate 5 gallons in a pail ?

I don't think you need to really shake hell out of a wort (especially not a hot one) to get a good aeration... I just chill mine down and then lightly swirl it around for about 30-60 seconds and then pitch ...my ferments always start between 6-10 hours but I do make big starters on a stir plate...

Just want to check in to thank you for this thread. I brewed Hooter's Simple Hefeweizen recipe on Sunday. It was my first time brewing with ingredients from my LHBS and using my DIY wort chiller. I had no visible signs of fermentation Sunday night or Monday. I was getting freaked out by Monday because I had read that the Danstar Munich was pretty quick to get working (and I'm a noob and that's what we do). I found this thread, read several pages, and committed to doing nothing for at least a few more days. Tuesday morning, I saw a few small bubbles on the surface of the wort. Tuesday night, there was a nice foamy head on top. By Wednesday morning, there was evidence that the foam had filled the head space in the carboy and then settled.back down to a two-inch thick foam. It appears that I had pitched the yeast at a much lower temperature than I should have and just put it to sleep for a while. It woke up after a few days and is now doing its job. [emoji106]🏼

Thanks again for the great info in this thread and elsewhere on this forum! [emoji482]

Just want to check in to thank you for this thread. I brewed Hooter's Simple Hefeweizen recipe on Sunday. It was my first time brewing with ingredients from my LHBS and using my DIY wort chiller. I had no visible signs of fermentation Sunday night or Monday. I was getting freaked out by Monday because I had read that the Danstar Munich was pretty quick to get working (and I'm a noob and that's what we do). I found this thread, read several pages, and committed to doing nothing for at least a few more days. Tuesday morning, I saw a few small bubbles on the surface of the wort. Tuesday night, there was a nice foamy head on top. By Wednesday morning, there was evidence that the foam had filled the head space in the carboy and then settled.back down to a two-inch thick foam. It appears that I had pitched the yeast at a much lower temperature than I should have and just put it to sleep for a while. It woke up after a few days and is now doing its job. [emoji106]🏼

Thanks again for the great info in this thread and elsewhere on this forum! [emoji482]

Welcome DaveCane and I'm glad to see you too (like me) are gaining a lot from this forum, especially being new to homebrewing! Congrats on your current brew! :mug:

Just want to check in to thank you for this thread. I brewed Hooter's Simple Hefeweizen recipe on Sunday. It was my first time brewing with ingredients from my LHBS and using my DIY wort chiller. ....:emoji482]

Dave,
I'm thinking about making that same wort chiller. How well did it work?

Dave,
I'm thinking about making that same wort chiller. How well did it work?

It worked really well. Based on my vast experience of one use [emoji13] I'll say that all you really need is the copper tubing, the vinyl tubing, two clamps, a submersible pump, and a big tub of ice water. I'm not a real handy guy, but I was able to get this working without a hitch. It's nice to make something, rather than just buying every piece of equipment!

Question, probably already been asked, so I Apologize in Advance... My first beer was bubbling for first 24hrs and then stopped... At what point should I worry and if its stops, whats the fix?

Question, probably already been asked, so I Apologize in Advance... My first beer was bubbling for first 24hrs and then stopped... At what point should I worry and if its stops, whats the fix?

You should start worrying approximately NEVER. Relax and let the yeast do it's thing! You're making beer!

So, my latest batch of Nottingham took app. 68 hours to kick in.

68 HOURS!

The whole time, I was cool/calm/collected. I hadn't hit 72 hours yet, so no worries, right? That being said, this is the last batch of "washed' yeast I have, and I think I'm kind of glad. 3rd gen and the longest lag-time yet.

But it worked, and is currently churning away!

:)

I am going on a three full days since pitching my doppelbock. No krausen, dead still wort. Then realized I still had my temp controller still set at just about freezing. Whoops!

Hello,

I am sure that similar questions have been asked for a lot of time. I am sorry in advance.

I brewed a Cooper's Real Ale kit on Friday evening. Everything went well, I didn't have any problem. But there was no sign on the airlock until Sunday morning. I saw bubbles on Sunday morning and it lasted until evening. And then it stopped again. Now, it's been more than 24 hours since it stopped and no sign at all. Should I worry about it?

(By the way, I used ale yeast in the kit and the temperature is 22C/70F)

It's possible that the lid doesn't seal perfectly, and you only get bubbling when it's fermenting really hard.

It's possible that the lid doesn't seal perfectly, and you only get bubbling when it's fermenting really hard.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I double checked it and the lid looks sealed but still I binded it with tape just in case. We will see if it helps.

So, if it's the problem, am I already too late?

So, my latest batch of Nottingham took app. 68 hours to kick in.

68 HOURS!

The whole time, I was cool/calm/collected. I hadn't hit 72 hours yet, so no worries, right? That being said, this is the last batch of "washed' yeast I have, and I think I'm kind of glad. 3rd gen and the longest lag-time yet.

But it worked, and is currently churning away!

Re-quoted, just to let people know that this isn't the way I wanted things to go. It's not the norm, it isn't "right", but it is what happened to me, and to others as well, so it very well may happen to you.

You were right. It changed immedietaly. Thanks! So, as I asked on my previous post; am I too late already?

Oh! Then no, you are not "too late." The fermenting wort will havee positive pressure from the yeast producing CO², even if it is just slight, and should have kept anything small from entering the bucket.

I am betting everything will be fine, and you will have made beer in just a couple weeks!

For a couple of years I would set the lid on the bucket without sealing for 2 or 3 days - with about a 1 pound weight on it - air lock in place. After the really active fermentation was finished, I sealed the lid. This was to prevent blowing the lid off in the case of heavy kraeusen activity. Never any problem with contamination.

And lots of fermenter lids don't seal real well. Doesn't seem to be a problem. The moral: As long as the lid is fairly tight and you don't ferment for a really long time, you should be ok IMO.

Ok, here's a little confession from a newbie :)

I've got some basic brewing equipment and a beer kit as a gift. A couple of days I finally had some time to start brewing!

I've tried to follow kit instructions as close as possible, but as a complete beginner I'm sure I made some mistakes along the way - some I'm aware of, and probably even more I'm not yet aware of :D

So, as everyone, I was extremely impatient. Finished with the brewing and pitched the yeast late in the afternoon. Before going to bed (~5h later) checked it, no activity. Woke up, first thing first - checked it again, still no activity (~13h). Now I started to worry, read half of this thread, and many many others. Ok, ok, I got it, be patient. Had about one hour between work and dinner plans, rushed back home just to take a peek at the airlock. Still no activity whatsover (~24h). Took a flashlight, pressed against a bucket - no krausen, no anything. Is it ok to panic now? Glanced around the forum again, googled some more. Ok, ok, be patient. Before going to bed, ~30h after pitching the yeast, still nothing.
The next morning (~36h) finally something visible going on! The liquid in the airlock moved to one side! Something is happening! The hope is not lost yet :D This, and a talk with my father, experienced wine maker, keep me from being (too) nervous. Finally, that day in the evening, when I got home, I could from the door (I keep the bucket in the hall) smell something is happening. Moved the curtain, and sure enough, there it was, bubbling happily away :)

Sorry for the long post, but the point is, it's really hard to keep calm when there is no visible activity, but once it starts, oh boy, it's a good feeling :) It's been bubbling now for more than 24h, there is nice foam at the top (what I can tell from the side of the bucket), and I hope it'll turn out to be at least drinkable :D

Yog: Glad to hear it started. Now keep the beer temperature under control to get the best quality beer. Look at the yeast instructions, but usually in the mid 60's is good.

I've got it to pretty stable 20°C (68F). The instructions say 18-24, so I guess this is right up the alley..

I have a batch that is approaching the 3 day mark with no signs of fermentation. I'm thinking my wort may have been to cold and I shocked the yeast or I had it stored to long in my fridge. So here's my question. I have an all grain BIAB kit with a dry yeast packet. Can I make a big starter out of that and split the starter between my next batch and the one I brewed last Friday night? What is the best way to make a starter out of a dry yeast ? I was thinking some rich 70 degree sugar water and some gentle agitation.

As always your comments, thoughts and advice are very much appreciated!

I'm thinking my wort may have been too cold and I shocked the yeast or I had it stored to long in my fridge.

Hmm, not likely. How cold was your wort? What are you fermenting in? (bucket?)

Also, how old is your yeast? I've had packets stored in my fridge for months before (and I plan to do it again soon), and they work just fine!

Either way, it is not recommended to build a starter from dry yeasts (or, at least it is rarely required)

The only way to know if there has been any fermentation is to take a gravity sample reading.

Additionally funny story:

I thought I had a dud batch in my SS brewbucket today. I tried boosting the fermenting temp up to 70 to try and rouse some activity, but I got nothing. So with no air lock activity and no way to see inside, I took a peek under the lid although it killed me! To my surprise I had mad krausen going on! So what's up?
Sure enough, my fastening nut on the chiller coil attached to the lid wasn't tight so co2 was escaping that way. After making the nut finger tight, my airlock started going gangbusters.

Now I'm stuck with what is sure to be a fruity batch of Brown Ale (Not a bad thing, IMO). In fact, I'm excited to try it! I have heard bad things about S04 at high temps, but this brew was always designed for my own private stash so I won't have to explain esters away to anyone.

My wort was around 60 degrees give or take. I don't know how old the yeast was. It was shipped to me with the extract kit and stored in my fridge for about 2 weeks.

I checked my fermenter this afternoon after I got home from work. There is a bid layer of sediment on the bottom and nothing else going on. No krosen, no bubbles, no nothing. It actually looks like fermentation is done. It's strange.

I just took an SG and it is the same 1.046 as when I racked it into fermentation

My wort was around 60 degrees give or take. I don't know how old the yeast was. It was shipped to me with the extract kit and stored in my fridge for about 2 weeks.

I checked my fermenter this afternoon after I got home from work. There is a bid layer of sediment on the bottom and nothing else going on. No krosen, no bubbles, no nothing. It actually looks like fermentation is done. It's strange.

What type of yeast?

Many other people report success pitching at 59-62, speaking of dry yeast that is.

I just to an SG and it is the same 1.046 as when I racked it into fermentation

Frustrating. I'd say order two yeasts (rehydrate, if dry) and repitch.

The yeast type was White Labs Irish Ale Yeast WLP004.

Just to confuse things more; This batch is now 4 days in. By day 2 all the foam from aeration had collapsed back into the wort. Thats how it sat until sometime today. I checked it this morning before I left for work around 7AM and it was still flat. I went downstairs to retrieve a fermenter to rack a stout into secondary and the blasted thing has about an inch of krosen on it. No activity in the airlock or fermenting currents in the vessel, but it's at least showing signs of fermentation now after 3 1/2 days. Maybe I just got some slow starters! LOL

Did you make a starter or just dump the yeast in as-is?

I just dumped it in as is. I should say that this is the second time I've used the same liquid yeast. Both times I just dumped it in. The first time everything worked as expected, but this time has been way below what I expected.

I am also very new to this and don't really have the equipment to make a started.

Pitching yeast within 10 degrees of current wort temp helps prevent shocking the yeast. Thus helping to shorten lag time, or the reproductive phase.

I just dumped it in as is.

That's likely the problem - you underpitched.

I should say that this is the second time I've used the same liquid yeast. Both times I just dumped it in. The first time everything worked as expected, but this time has been way below what I expected.

Your first vial of yeast may have been much fresher, containing more viable cells. That's why it's recommended to use a yeast rate pitching calculator (like Mr. Malty) that will take your yeast's age into account in determining how many cells you need.

I am also very new to this and don't really have the equipment to make a started.

It doesn't take much to get started - you don't need a stir plate and flask; you can get started with a simple sanitized glass jar of some sort. Prep the starter with some DME, add it to the sanitized jar with your yeast, cover the top with some sanitized foil, and give it a swirl every now and then over a couple of days.

I used a pyrex 2C measure for starters & rehydrating before I got my flask. simple & it worked. Even a quart canning jar, mayo jar, etc will work.

Back