Fermentation began almost instantly after pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cigarbrewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ive been making wine and beer for about a year now. I decided to make some wine out of honeydew because i had a honeydew and thought it might make something interesting. After i poured the batch into my glass gallon jug fermentation started in about an hour. I heated the batch on the stove and simmerd it for a while. It was about 100 degrees farenheight when i pitched the yeast so the batch was still warm. Is this normal.

Yea. Sounds like you made a "starter" yeast with the warm water and pleanty h20

That's about 30 degrees too warm- yeast will go crazy and ferment, but you won't have the best flavor. From now on, don't simmer or cook your fruit at all, and when you add your yeast do so at 60-70 degrees.

That's about 30 degrees too warm- yeast will go crazy and ferment, but you won't have the best flavor. From now on, don't simmer or cook your fruit at all, and when you add your yeast do so at 60-70 degrees.

Now fermentation has seen to stop after 2 days should i pitch more yeast as for flavor im
Not too concerned this honey dew wine was more just for fun since i got the fruit for free and i have plenty of yeast. at this point i just want something drinkable

Now fermentation has seen to stop after 2 days should i pitch more yeast as for flavor im
Not too concerned this honey dew wine was more just for fun since i got the fruit for free and i have plenty of yeast. at this point i just want something drinkable

No- it's done with active fermentation. Yeast go crazy in very warm temperatures, and will sometimes ferment out overnight.

Back