Fermentation and dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger48

Reaction score
So, it goes as follows-

I had a great find on American hops at my LBHS so I stocked up. I had intended on making Jamil's English IPA but my boil kettle is just shy on the size so I usually get a bigger beer. This struck me as a good opportunity to make an Imperial IPA by dropping my boil volume just a tich.

5.5 gallon boil- w/4.5 into the fermenter.

9 LBS Bries Xlight LME
1 LB Bries Wheat DME
1/2 lb Biscuit
1/2 lb Crystal 40l
1/4 lb Crystal 120l

1 oz Horizon 10% AA 60 minutes
1 oz Horizon 10% AA 20 minutes
1 oz Centennial 5 minutes
1 oz Centennial 0 minutes

3 oz Amarillo dry hop.

OG was 1.7~ ( gave my hydrometer a spin to clear the air bubbles and it stress fractured and sunk)

FG should be 1.18ish.

I pitched 2 packets of Safale-05 at 66 F. on Saturday morning and now there is barely a bubble (vigorous fermentation that I agitated on a consistent basis)

The question now becomes that while it ramped up I kept it in a cool closet but it peaked at 74 f for about 18 hours and now it's back down around 66-68. I took a sample and it has some hotter alcohol flavors but over all I'm going to be pleased. With the hotter alcohol I'd normally let it sit 2-3 weeks in the primary hoping that some of that would get scrubbed by the yeast and then keg but now I have dry hops to worry about adding. Should I let the yeast do their magic for another 2 weeks and then wrack on top of my dry hops or should I wrack it to the secondary and let it sit for a while longer then add the dry hops?

Personally, I would let ot ferment longer, rack to secondary and use a muslin bag/paint strainer or something to put your dry hops in, and dry hop it for about two weeks. My recent double IPA turned out great!

Back