Fermentation/airlock obsession

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm alone here. I am on my 4th batch of beer and I can't get enough of watching my airlock or blowoff tube bubbling. I got a carboy so I could watch my krausen form. I brewed a beer last night and I'm going away for the weekend and I even considered putting up a webcam so I could see the progress. I can't wait to get home to time my bubbling pattern. So am I alone or is it a crowded boat I'm in.

Been there done that, as you trust your process more and more and mature in your brewing you'll find yourself checking the airlock less and less.

You won't care after a while. Now the only reason I check the airlock is to make sure it hasn't dried out during a period of vigorous bubbling.

Im only on my third batch, and although I don't watch it too obsessively, I LOVE seeing and hearing those bubbles start, seeing the krausen form, and opening my chest freezer and getting a whiff of that fermentation smell. Hasn't gotten old yet!

I'm over 200 batches, and I still watch it. When it starts, it's a relief that the yeast is going. Even though it's been over 150 batches since I last had a bad one, I'm always excited/concerned looking for the first signs of life.

Also seeing the changing rate also provides an indication of how it is going and where it is in the process.

I don't use buckets, so don't have leak issues, so don't subscribe to the "airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation" theory. I can understand it when you have a leak in a bucket seal, but my fermenters are well sealed and if I don't see anything, I know there is a problem.

........ After saying that I'll have a problem with my batch tomorrow, freak out, and then discover that somehow I got a leak!?!

Back